We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motels

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Motels

Hi

we are looking to travel on 1st April until 14th. Can anyone suggest good hotels or motel chain in california. we will be on a budget but bringing our son who is 13 so want to do a bit of planning.

fly into LA and out of San Fran. Want to visit las vegas if we can but not sure about driving there.

help!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motels

IMO, the 'best' inexpensive lodging may be different in each place. You'll definitely want to set an itinerary and get reservations, as this will be a busy travel time for families on Spring Break.

That said, Motel 6 is probably the most basic budget motel chain. But you probably won't want (or maybe not find) a Motel 6 in San Francisco, Yosemite, or Las Vegas. (There is one in LV, but it's not the best choice for low budget lodging.)

Read the Top Q on each forum page (upper right) for lodging ideas, then ask the helpful forum folks. Sharing your price range in USD will help.

My suggestion of a two week itinerary with a 13 year old boy ... LAX - Anaheim - L.A. - central coast (Santa Barbara and Pismo Beach? Just one?) - Monterey - Yosemite - SF - SFO

If you really want to include Las Vegas, how about flying there from San Francisco and flying home from LAS?

Or take the popular loop L.A. - Pismo Beach / Morro Bay - Monterey - SF - Yosemite - (southern Sierra route to ) Death Valley - Las Vegas - L.A.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motels

Motel 6, Hampton Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Embassy Suites are a few hotel chains to choose from. Motel 6 is the most budget friendly, but not all Motel 6's are alike. Some are worse than others, so be sure to map out an itinerary, decide on the towns you want to visit between LA and SF, how much you want to spend per night and we'll make some suggestions.

There are plenty of non chain hotels that get good reviews on TA that might meet your criteria, as well.

And driving is the way to go unless you plan on flying between your destinations.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motels

Thank you for your replies. We are still trying to decide. I visited California in 1980 but was with a boyfriend and we could please ourselves where we went. We flew into San Fran and headed down to coast all the way to San Diego then out to Las Vegas, yosemite and back to San Francisco. All in two weeks. I was brave then and I was n't the driver! However I think Ryan, our son, will find a lot of driving very boring. I was not sure when Spring Break was so that is helpful.

Do you think we would need a car in Anaheim or San Francisco? I also saw that we could fly from Long Beach to LV for $45 each. That looks a bargain but does Jet Blue then charge more for bags and checking in and so on like Easyjet does here? Presumably renting a car is relatively easy.

Too much to organise in 7 weeks. I am not sure now!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motels

If the purpose of your Anaheim visit is for Disneyland, then you won't need a car if you procure lodging close to the park.

San Francisco has very good public transportation, so you do NOT need a car while visiting the city.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motels

I kind of wonder whether your 14 year old might get bored in Las Vegas. You have plenty to do without traveling there, unless it is important to you. It would not be my choice.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 23:48
London
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motels

Just to let you know that decided to leave out Las Vegas. We are flying into San Diego and just working our way up the coast to San Francesco.

Our travel agent has booked hotels for us so we are staying at the Sheraton Misson Valley for 3 nights, Hilton Anaheim for 4 nights, Fogcatcher Inn in Cambria for two nights and probably the Tuscan Inn Fishermans Wharf in SF for 3 nights. We will pick up a car the day we leave San Diego and return it when we arrive at San Francesco. i am happy that accommodation is booked.

Thank you for all your advice. We plan to go Whale Watching and would like to go to some kind of sports event, Seaworld, probably Universal Studios, (not sure about Disney), Alcatraz. Any other suggestions?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motels

If you're staying in Anaheim, Disneyland is a must. There are two parks, Disneyland and Disneyland Park.

If you want to use Anaheim as a base for LA, you will spend a lot of time driving, as Hollywood is at least an hour away; Santa Monica beaches the same.

If you don't want to do Disney, you're better off staying in Hollywood or somewhere around there, where you'll find, the Kodak Theatre, Graumans Chinese Theatre, stars names in the sidewalk, lots of shopping and restaurants and also Universal Studios (one metro stop away), Beverly HIlls, Santa Monica and drive around to see stars homes etc are all closer than Anaheim. Or take a day tour, and they leave from the chinese theatre.

If you think about it, some hotels in the Hollywood include Magic Castle, Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and my favourite, the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame. which includes a delicious hot buffet breakfast and the hotel is only a few years old.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motels

Hello Tickers, and welcome to the California forum.

I'd suggest Hearst San Simeon State Historic Park (Hearst Castle in the vernacular) at San Simeon just north of Cambria. Architecturally a gem of an edifice, and full of Medieval and Renaissance art inside. Easily the most visited residence in the entire Golden State! http://www.hearstcastle.org/ I take it your travel agent booked you in Cambria with this visit in mind, though, right? (wink)

Solvang remains a favorite of my Sweet Polly Purebred and I. This is a Danish town with the Danish architecture and food (the bread and cookies are quite the treat!). Full Danish restaurant food there as well. Not as Danish as Denmark, but the best thing we have to it. The Queen of Denmark herself came once! Lots of enjoyable strolling and shopping. http://www.solvangusa.com/

No trip up the Central Coast is complete without a visit to the men's room. . . of the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo! Yes, I said men's room! (I know you are a lady. . . ) (smile) Have your son clear the way (after he first takes care of business) so that you and any other women will be able to see the way this Gentleman's restroom is set up. . . rather fanciful the way it's done, and it all makes sense! You've got to see it. The guest rooms in this lodging are one of a kind in terms of decoration and accountrements. There's the Caveman room, as an example. . . many more one of a kind themed rooms. Every room is on a different theme. http://www.madonnainn.com/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,453 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motels

Its a good idea for you to post questions in the various city forums you are thinking of visiting rather than a general forum so you can get more specific info on itineraries, where to stay ect.

Such as posting in the Anaheim forum for Disneyland, San Diego forum, and San Francisco forum.

There is also no reason why you cannot take a trip to Las Vegas if you want to, plenty of people choose to visit there, its a fun destination, the lights on the strip at night are amazing.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 17:06
10. Re: Motels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 16:21