We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 1

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hwy 1

Is there a difference in driving Hwy 1 north vs. south? I read that the sun is in your eyes going south. Any difference in the views? Where does Hwy 1 leave the coast in the southern portion of the route?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwy 1

I prefer going north to south, due to the fact your coastal views are not broken up by traffic going the other way. Some folks don't like it, as it puts them on the "edge" of the road, and have issues with the feeling you might be going over the cliff at points. (One good reason to not drink and drive. Park the car at the end of the night, then go have an adult beverage if you desire).

So it realy dosn't matter, especially the sun, it will be shining onto both sides of the road exactly the same

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwy 1

I'm glad you recommend that. I'm making a loop in Central CA, also visiting Sequoia, Kings canyon and Yosemite. I want to see the parks first.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwy 1

In CA the sun will set in the west, but since we're north of the equator its not due west and is a little bit to the south, too. So the sun will be mostly to your side in the afternoon but a little bit more in your view if driving south.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwy 1

Sun angle depends on the time of year. June is a lot different from October or December when the sun sets earlier and is further south. Also what car you drive makes a difference. I often hear from people who complain about this who are driving a Prius where the windshield is almost over your head as opposed to say a Ford Escape or Explorer where the windshield is at less of an angle.

No matter what you are driving, if you want to pull over a lot to enjoy the views, driving south is the best and safest. Sometimes though, if you have a passenger who has some vertigo, being on the outside looking over the cliffs may not sit too well with them.

5. Re: Hwy 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:01