We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

we plan to use this train on a Tuesday in October

But as we dont know exactly what time (it should be about 5 pm,)

and my wife is in a wheelchair is it wise to pre book? difficult as exact times not known, or can we just buy tkt at station?

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Hello pennych, and welcome to the California forum.

I hope you understand that the Amtrak station is in Downtown Los Angeles, and not at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). LAX is to the western edge of Los Angeles bordering the Pacific Ocean, and Downtown LA is in the eastern edge of the City of Angels. At least a half hour's drive apart, these two locations. At any rate, should you need to be transported from LAX to Union Station in Downtown LA - wheelchair bound patron or not - the Flyaway bus system can do the job, as well as a taxi. Link here for the Flyaway: http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=292

Los Angeles Union Station in Downtown LA is a major Amtrak stop. Certainly, you may book ahead or buy your ticket in person at the Amtrak ticket counter there at Union Station. Keep in mind that for a weekday trip at commuter hours, it may be wise to get your ticket booked ahead of time. There's a good deal of passenger traffic these days from Downtown LA to San Diego on Amtrak, and it's commuter driven during the commuter hours (3 to 7 PM weekdays). I'd contact Amtrak and inquire about it with them. Here's the link: www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

As of the time of this writing, I was not able to inquire about purchasing tickets online for people with special needs due to a software system failure on the Amtrak Internet site. You may have to contact them via email (no standard international telephone number for them that I can see, only the toll free Stateside WATS number) using the form found here: www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

I wish I had a better answer here for you. Anyone else have any thoughts on when these fine folks from across the pond should purchase their Amtrak tickets for leaving LA for San Diego?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
The Pacific Inn
The Pacific Inn
688 Reviews
Seal Beach, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Bump!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Just to clarify things - Amtrak uses station code "LAX" for Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. As Underdog say, this is NOT the LAX airport. The two are about 15 miles apart.

If you need to get from LAX (the airport) to Union Station, use the FlyAway bus (www.lawa.org/flyaway) - - I think (but won't swear, because I'm not 100% sure) that it will handle wheelchair-bound passengers.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

I can confirm that the LAX Flyaway will accomidate "standard" Wheelchairs. An ECV (Electornic Convenience Vehicle) depends on the size of the ECV.

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=350

>>All buses on the LAX FlyAway Bus Service, connecting the San Fernando Valley and LAX, Union Station and LAX, and UCLA and LAX are equipped to accommodate disabled travelers. Patrons should allow additional time to board the bus when scheduling a departure time. Drivers will assist patrons to get on and off the bus and will assist patrons with baggage.<<

I also checked the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Schedule, as not every train offers Baggage Service, but all the afternoon/evening trains do offer Checked Baggage from Union Station to the main San Diego station. (Sante Fe Station, Amtrak calls it SAN, but just as LAX, the airport is miles away from the Train Station).

Mentioned in this post
LAX FlyAway
LAX FlyAway
143 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
UCLA Guest House
UCLA Guest House
144 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Pacific Surfliner
Pacific Surfliner
150 Reviews
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Thank you for all your great replies big help I did know LAX was the amtrak station for LA but other info was greatfully received. Looks like It might be wise to book in advance.

Thanks again

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Two more question please.

Do you think the 7.30 train from Lax will be busy ??

we get in to LAX airport at 3pm should that give us plenty of time to clear airport then get over to LAX Union station?

Edited: 09 March 2012, 07:59
Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Penny, no. . . I don't think the 7:30 PM Tuesday Amtrak Surfliner train will have crowded conditions.

Since you are international passengers into LAX (the airport), I'd allow two hours to clear customs and another hour to get on either the Flyaway (standard wheelchair situation) or get a taxi. Half hour trip to Union Station. You should arrive around 6:30 or earlier. . . and should be in fine shape to take that 7:30 Amtrak south to San Diego. Good thinking on your part!

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Thanks once again for your info. so good to have advice Its so helpful when planning a trip

we will plan on the 7.30 and book in advance anyway, just to be sure.

LAX airport are very helpful to wheel chair users, So hope to clear quickly looking forward to the train.did Santa Barbara to SanJose many years ago when fit and loved it

thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

Always go for a reserved seat, it is only a few dollars more and you get free refreshments, coffe and danish in the moring, wine in the afternoon and free other sancks. Easily worth what you pay extra. And you don' have to stand in line at the cafe car

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
1 post
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak surfliner lax to san diego

I often take the train to San Diego along this route. Once you pass through San Juan Capistrano going South the ocean is on your right and the tracks follow the shoreline for quite a good stretch. If you are reserving seats, I would recommend reserving a window seat on the right side so you have the best view. It's not unusual to see surfers although if you are planning on taking the 7:30 train the light will be closing in. Sunsets can be gorgeous too.

Something to keep in mind for your return trip up the coast - book seats on the coast side of the train.

I have found the Amtrak staff on the trains to be incredibly helpful - just ask for whatever you need. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Juan Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano
Orange County, CA