We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

Is this 6 hour train trip a better choice than driving? likely delays? Clean windows good views?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,110 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

There's nothing to see except farm land and tumbleweeds. You'll get there quicker by driving.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

Amtrak is a very relaxing mode of transportation. Large clean windows with some interesting views through the east bay and delta area, and then pretty much many small San Joaquin valley towns and farmland. Amtrak will take about 90 minutes more, but with the price of gas these days, the fares on Amtrak is hard to beat.

edit- the trains run pretty much on schedule these days.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 05:13
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,039 posts
6,071 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

The views are similar to driving.

Amtrak is sit back and relax.....

also, you can have lunch on your way to Paso Robles on the train.

The lunches (except for a few) are fairly good and a great way to meet others.

Even if you do not do lunch, they have snack car service if you want something along the way.

it depends in part if you need a car when you arrive if it is better to drive or to take Amtrak.

Amtrak is a great way to relax - and do what you want for the trip.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,039 posts
6,071 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

Oops - I meant Bakersfield (we are planning an amtrak trip to Paso Robles and unfortunately I typed the wrong word on this one). Sigh. Have fun.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

Hello Floraalice, and welcome to the California forum.

I would anticipate clean windows and lots of views of the surrounding countryside. A lot of the trip is through the agricultural heartland that is the San Joaquin (pronounced "San Walkeen") Valley. My understanding is that the trains run on time on this route.

Better choice than driving? Depends on what you are looking for. If you are interested in taking an Amtrak train so you can say you've done so, this is one way to do it. Good opportunity to mix and socialize with fellow passengers on a route that is not all that long. But to be quite honest, most travelers drive from the Bay Area to Bakersfield. My grandmother would be one who would like this Amtrak service, as she did not like to drive longer distances as she got older. She took Greyhound Bus service back in the day, though, instead of the Southern Pacific Railroad, which did not have good passenger service then. . . shortly before the starting up of Amtrak in 1971.

If you are a traveler from overseas, you probably would like the train. It's not like Europe, though - but it would be rather familiar in certain aspects if you were European. Your profile doesn't say where you are from.

Please feel free to give feedback on the forum here. Enjoy your travels with us.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

My brother lives in Fresno- a 3 hour drive from here, and a 4 hour train ride. I still prefer the train because I can get up and walk around, watch a movie on my laptop (they even have wifi now) and even use the bathroom any time I want!

For the first hour or so, the ride is pretty scenic, especially on the left hand side of the train. You'll follow the contour of SF & San Pablo Bays, see views of SF and the GG Bridge, cross through the Delta, and eventually see the Sierras to the east. So, overall, not a bad way to go.

7. Re: Amtrak from Oakland. To Bakersfield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:16