We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arcata to Yosemite

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Arcata to Yosemite

Hi

We will be driving the above over the summer and plan to do an overnight stop along the way. Wondered if people had any suggestions for which route to take - something scenic but not too slow and points of interest or nice little towns/parks along the way. Not too bothered about visiting wineries and plan to miss out Sacramento. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

To totally avoid I-5, take hwy 299 to Lassen National park and then one of two routes to Tahoe to hwy 395 to Tioga Pass. It's about 5 hours to Chester from Arcata and another 6 hours to Yosemite. This would be best if you could take a couple of nights. The other stop I'd make would be in Tahoe.

Things to see: Burney Falls, Lassen National Park, small mountain towns such as Quincy and Truckee, Tahoe, Mono Lake.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

Thanks for that, we do plan to see Tahoe after Yosemite so will definitely look at those places for then.

We did look at the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt but I'm not sure what else there is if we stay on the 101, is there a route we could take after that? It really can only be one night though as we have a fixed schedule after that.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

The Avenue of the Giants is wonderful. Garberville is a nice little town for one night. I remember this great burger place there that was once a gas station.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

Great thanks, is there anyway a bit further on down that route that breaks the journey up more evenly for the night time stop?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

There's Ukiah. Not too exciting. I'd try to make it to Sacramento area. I don't know the area past that--gold country south of Sac. You might ask on one of those forums or the Yosemite forum.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

Calistoga is almost exactly half way and is on one of the most direct routes to Yosemite. You could relax at one of the hot spring resorts there. It's also a neat town.

Cache Creek is almost half way too. It's more popular with locals than tourists but the hotel has a great pool, nice golf course, several restaurants, and entertainment on Saturday nights. It's not for everyone but it could fit the bill for just one night.

http://www.cachecreek.com/

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

I love Calistoga. I assumed she would cut over at Clear Lake. If going through wine country isn't much longer it would make a wonderful stop. No need to drink wine to enjoy the area. It's just incredibly scenic.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

Where will you be prior to Arcata? Are you coming south from somewhere in Oregon or Washington?

9. Re: Arcata to Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:41