We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in California

Florida City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 weeks in California

We are a couple planning 2 weeks in August in California.We have booked rental car from Vegas.How many places can we visit in California ? We have tentative itinerary _ Vegas > Death Valley (1 day ?) > Mammoth Lakes ( Day ?) > Yosemite > Sacramento > Mt.Shasta > Crescent city > San Francisco > Los Angeles > San Diego.

How much time should we spent at each place ?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in California

Only two weeks for all that? Plug it into Google Maps to see how much time you'll spend in the car! That's at least 2,000 miles. If you spend two nights in only two destinations and just one in others, that's about 175 - 250 miles almost every day. I think you need to drop some of your wish list of destinations.

The 'usual' loop is just Yosemite - San Francisco - Hwy 1 coast (2 nights preferred, 1 night do-able) - L.A. - back to Las Vegas.

Do you have lodging reservations for anyplace yet? Yosemite?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,057 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in California

How many places can we visit in California ?

If this is a competition, then you can add a lot more places to this list and just keep driving from place to place

If this is a vacation, then please see listen to what Pacific says. Also I don't know about you folks but I won't go to the High Desert area when temps are between 110 and 120 in August but again it is your vacation

Car rental costs go up if the rental is one way as compared to pick up and drop off at the same location. You may want to factor in that as well when you plan your trip.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in California

Time aside, in August I recommend staying in the mountains to Mt Shasta. Actual mileage difference is not much, but the mountain route is slower driving. From Yosemite, take Tioga Pass to hwy 395 to Tahoe to Lassen National Volcanic Park, through Park to Burney Falls onto Mt Shasta.

Yosemite to Lassen Park the above route is 6 and a half hours. Lassen to Mt Shasta is just about two hours.

Also, how do you plan to visit Crescent City? hwy 199? or hwy 299?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in California

Is this trip next August? Something like SF>Monterey>Yosemite>Tahoe>Lassen>Mt Shasta>North Coast>SF would allow you so much more time to see things.

There is only 15 miles difference, starting from Lassen going 299 out of Redding vs 199 out of Grants Pass to Crescent City. From Mt Shasta, 299 would be 73 miles longer. I actually always take 199 when heading to Crescent City. Taking hwy 199 will allow you to see Mt Shasta along the way & will prevent back tracking. The I-5 is scenic from Mt Shasta on. I'd also recommend a side trip to Crater lake.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,937 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in California

I would drop off San Diego - the rest I think is doable. Its just a tad too much.

Also, while I go to/through Sacramento often, there is an alternative route to going there. They do have Old Town, a good railroad museum, a fun minor league baseball game, the capitol, etc. but there is an alternative route you might want to consider. Instead of going to Sacramento, exit again via Tioga Pass and continue instead up 395 seeing Virginia City, Reno, Mount Lassen National Park, and Burney State Park on your way to Mt. Shasta.

http://www.visitvirginiacitynv.com/

http://www.nps.gov/lavo/index.htm

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=455

For Crescent City just realize the road from inland to the coast is slow -

so even though it looks short on miles (198 or so) it will take you longer.

Once you get to Crescent City, you are at the northern most part of California. You are just a few miles away from the Oregon border - so if you want to say you also traveled into Oregon it is easy to do. I would add another stop on your way from Cresccent City To San Francisco. I am assuming you are going to see some of the gorgeous Redwoods. First, be sure to drive a few miles east of Crescent City and see Jedidiah Smith State Park - its also a great place to go swimming if its a warm to hot day.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413

On your route south, you might be interested in the 2 hour tour on jet boats through the Klamath River. We saw amazing eagles, and more on this fun boat ride. It gives you a chance to see the scenery you cannot see as easily from the road.

http://www.jetboattours.com/

Also, do stop at Trees of Mystery - yes, its touristy but its so fun to ride through the redwood trees. Amazing. There is also a small but good Native American museum on site.

http://www.treesofmystery.net/

Also do take the bypass to the major road to drive the 33 mile Avenue of the Giants

http://avenueofthegiants.net/

Add an overnight at Garberville - the trip from Crescent City to San Francisco is a long drive.....and if you want to see things on your drive south, you want to do it more leisurely on 2 days versus one. In Garberville its a small town - sort of a throw back in time - but there are two places I recommend staying is the Best Western (fun cheese and wine reception at night and good swimming pool - easy to walk to restaurants) or Benbow Inn.

On the drive from Garberville to San Francisco on the next day, remembrer you are driving through wine country, with the major wine city on this route bieng Healdsburg. (just mentioning in case you want to visit a winery or two).

Then do San Francisco and you can either drive the inland route to Los Angeles (fast) This is I-5. But if you plan to do the coastal route. You will want to add a night or two. Popular places to add a night is at Carmel/Monterey (either one) and then drive through Big Sur and spend another night south of Big Sur before arriving in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles by itself can consume 14 days without a lot of though given their exccellent theme parks; ocean areas; and more. As such, it would be helpful to know what you want to do when there. it is also a reason I think you want to stop here, and save San Diego for another trip. San Diego can essily consume 4-7 days also without a lot of thought. It depends in part however what you plan to see when in either of the two areas.

w.

Again, so many fun things to do in California - and it is yes, a big state, so seeing it all in 2 weeks is very difficult as you will want to take some time to savor and see what you are driving through. I'd look further into each area and then suggest writing down your top 3-5 things per area and adjusting and refining your own itinerary. That will help in deciding how many days to spend in each spot.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,937 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in California

As a swag to the amount of time to spend in each place (note: I have taken San Diego off your list) and added in Garberville per my comment above: I am also assuming in the first scenario you are traveling inland route (I5) to Los Angeles, versus spending time along the coast. As you can see you will be spending a lot of time in the car. If that is your favorite way of traveling, then ok - but i you want to savor, more, you will want to adjust further.

Las Vegas - 2 days

Death Valley 1 day

Mammoth Lakes 1 day

Yosemite 2 days

Mount Lassen (or Sacramento) - see note) 1day

Mt. Shasta 1 day

Crescent City 1 day

Garberville 1 day

San Francisco 2 days (preferable would be 3 to 4 - but you have a fast itinerary)

Los Angeles 2 days (note: there is so much to do in LA, you will need to choose what you want to see very carefully.)

If you had more time - i.e not try to force fit this into 14 days but had more time, you would want something that looked more like:

Las Vegas - 3 days

Death Valley 1 day (because its August max 1 - in spring it would be 3)

Mammoth Lakes 1 day

Yosemite 2 days (nicer if 3 or 4 or longer)

Mount Lassen (or Sacramento) - see note) 1 day to 2 days

Mt. Shasta 1 day

Crescent City 1 day (better if 2 days)

Garberville 1 day

San Francisco 2 days (preferable would be 3 to 4 - but you have a fast itinerary)

Los Angeles 2 days preferable would be 7 days

So in short you are trying to squeeze a high level overview tour of California into 14 days, when it would be better to take about 24 days to do this trip. Just be aware of that when you do your next level of planning.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in California

Mini, hwy 199 isn't too bad. There is one really windy section, but it is not long. It's not I-5 or even 101, you'll average perhaps 50 mph.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,937 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in California

Thanks travelingrunn; appreciate it.

Florida City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in California

Thank you all for helpful advice :)

to clarify....We are leaving from Vegas and will catch flight from San Diego to our home...already booked our flights...we have 2 weeks for California (excluding Vegas). We have already visited Disney Parks & other theme Parks like Sea world in Florida...so not visiting in California....

I really didn't know these places are so far in California...you guys are right I have to make my list short. Which places are must visit...especially in summer time ?....thank you

Florida City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in California

and...we have not yet booked any hotels...which places are busiest in August ? In which places do you think we should reserve hotel in advance ?