We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

Hello---THE MACDONALD SISTERS -are planning another trip - this time to the. California Redwood country -- we prefer to stay in a cabin type accommodation--versus B&B or hotel-- I found Forest Haven Cottages on line & wonder if anyone out there has stayed there-- there-- I haven't found any reviews of this property-- it looks perfect--family owned- 2 cabins --just wonder if anyone has anything to say

Thank you!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

Can't help you with this but if you need info about Redwood NP, there is now a forum just for it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2193168-i22777-Re…

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

Westhaven, if I remember correctly, is right next to (south end) of Trinidad, so you might check that forum, also. Love that area.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

lucysmom47, I doubt anyone is one that forum. There's only one or two people from Eureka and no one from Arcata. I asked my husband what he remembered of the area (he has work that puts him in clients homes) & he said it is dark and moldy. I remember the are being pretty--the landscape, not the houses.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

Ditto on what you and your husband remember - haven't been up there in maybe 15 years, but we used to go almost every year to Trinidad and stayed in cabins about a mile from Patricks Point, and always saw the Westhaven sign when we went to dinner at that restaurant down by Moonraker beach. I had seen Trinidad popping up on the forum numerous times in last few weeks, so thought someone might see something grandmaluu might post.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

Oh, I had "Westport" (north of Fort Bragg) in my head!

We went driving around Westhaven area last June when we were in McKinleyville. Went by the little art gallery there. I don't remember seeing any yucky old cabins - but do remember some nice houses.

The photos look nice and certainly no "mold" ;-)

I think it would be a fairly long walk to the beach since it looks from their websie as if they are on the east side of 101.

6. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 August 2016, 15:57
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

Thanks for this report. It's difficult to say bad things about a place you love. Having lived there & been in many homes & myself a clean freak--obsessive, nuts about cleaning (and I know bleach is what you use to keep on top of mold) every home there has some mold. It's just how it is on the North Coast. I didn't even live a redwood grove, being in Eureka. I opened windows, turned on heat, kept closets open, bleached--still mold. The home I lived in in Arcata was a new home with hardwood floors (my Eureka home had hardwood floors too)in the trees. You had to be very diligent with cleaning the mold. Mold even grew on the floor (I clean my floors everyday).

West Haven is a very pretty area to visit the beach though.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

I think the whole drug thing, while un-nerving, is a common part of life anywhere in that area. Apparently marijuana is a mainstay of the economy:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_California

(From the above article: "David Samuels of The New Yorker describes the county as 'the heartland of high-grade marijuana farming in California'.")

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

>>every home there has some mold<<

No, it does not.

I know I've said this many times before. And will probably have to again.

I've had family members living in the Eureka area continuously since about 1974 - it's been so long I can no longer remember exactly!

They lived in Eureka, Trinidad, McKinleyville and Fortuna. Their houses did NOT have mold. None of them did.

My brother still lives in McKville and his house is now 20+ years old and does NOT have mold.

Furthermore, thousands of people live on the Oregon coast where it rains much more than the Eureka area and yes there are trees and forests everywhere. Our houses do not have mold.

My house does NOT have mold. I live in a rural area on the coast, surounded by trees and get about 65" of rain a year. NO mold inside.

David R you appear to be brand new to TripAdvisor. Welcome, but you should know that reviews are not allowed on the forums and your post is a review so may be removed.

It sounds as if that place was just plain dirty so no wonder it had mold and spiders. You can do a review on it in the reveiw section and post your photos - you did take photos of the hole in the door and the spiders?

10. Re: Forest Haven Cottages---Westhaven California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:18