We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco - Los Angeles

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Francisco - Los Angeles

HI,

In addition to advice re SF accomm, we are looking to drive from SF to LA over the last 3-4 nights of our trip. Can anyone suggest interesting places to visit or stay on the way? We are booked to fly home from LA and thought we should visit but so far have not been that fussed on things to do, so are trying to decide if we would be better to stay in Santa Monica for instance en route or whether there is enough to entertain us in LA for 3 full days? We are not super interested in the Hollywood scene or visiting Disneyland. Any advice?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,112 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

Santa Monica is for purposes LA and is in LA county. Perhaps your question is about the 400 or so mile drive between SF and LA along the coast and many stop for a day or 2 in Monterey and then in Cambria or Pismo Beach and in Santa Barbara. If you have 3-4 nights to go between the two cities I would suggest those place.

If your question is about where to stay while visiting LA and what to do there, please go to the Los Angeles Forum and read the top questions and they should help

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,914 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

I'd stay one night in Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove, and the next night in Cambria, then the final night very close to LAX airport, so that you don't have to deal with LA traffic on the day of your flight. If you want an additional night, make it 2 nights in the Monterey area.

Another member of this forum posted a great travelogue of the central coast, with descriptive captions for each photo. It takes a few minutes for the page to load, but browsing through this will give you a very good idea of what there is to see and do along the central coast. https://picasaweb.google.com/Mjneenan/Califo…

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course I was meaning Santa Barbara rather than Santa Monica, d'oh! Seems the concensus would be to spend more time on the way rather than actually in LA itself?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

We spent 3 days in LA and did none of the major amusement park type attractions or movie studios. We did do "Hollywood" as that's where we were staying. There was still plenty of other things to do to fill in 3 days, even just driving around. Though we do like to shop, and did quite a few hours of that.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 12:30
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,412 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

If you want to drive the beautiful coast route, Santa Barbara is too far to drive from SF in one day and do it justice. The drive alone is over 8 hours.

Monterey for 1 night

Santa Barbara for 1 night (Though some of us think even that is too much driving for one day from Monterey!)

Edited: 11 June 2012, 14:19
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,112 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

The OP writes

>>> Seems the concensus would be to spend more time on the way rather than actually in LA itself?

The subject of the post was SF - LA and that is the question we are answering. I thought the question was where to spend between SF and LA for 3-4 days. Then the above suggestions would apply. If the question is should you spend that time in LA or along the coast, there is no consensus on that. It is up to you. LA ia vibrant city with plenty to do. You can look at the LA forum for ideas.

The only issue is that it is recommend to have at least one overnight between SF and LA on Hwy 1 and that could be Cambria about mid-way

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,798 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

If I had three or four nights to get from SF to LA I'd spend one night in Monterey/Carmel and two night in the Santa Barbara area, using one of the days in SB to visit the Santa Barbara Wine Country. I'd even consider one night in the wine country area.

If I could, I would turn my car in in Santa Barbara and take the Santa Barbara AirBus to LAX.

http://www.sbairbus.com/

Depending on what time the flight out of LAX is, I might get a hotel in the Santa Monica area for the last night (assuming four nights) and see that area a bit.

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
428 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

BW 92116 - Thanks so much for posting the link to Mike's gallery of his central coast trip. It's fantastic! And of course thanks to Mike himself for the excellent photographs and narrative. I'm just trawling TA in early prep. for my trip next year and was inspired.

We're coming from the UK for 14 nights and plan to drive from San Francisco to

San Diego with several stops on the way. the Monterrey area and down to Morro Bay is now firmly on my itinerary! Questions will follow as I firm things up more, and want advice on lodging/restaurants etc. but I am really appreciative of this head start..

9. Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:15