We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioga pass drive to Yosemite?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
224 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tioga pass drive to Yosemite?

Is there another way to get from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite without driving through the Tioga Pass? I am nervous about the drive and rather drop off the rented car somewhere in Lake Tahoe and take a bus or anything else with my family to get to Yosemite. Any suggestions. I would need to get a car again to drive from Yosemite to Montery and Carmel and back to San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,078 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioga pass drive to Yosemite?

There are several ways to get to Yosemite without using Tioga Pass. The easiest would be to use Hwy 50 down to Sacramento, then Hwy 99 to Hwy 120 and in via the Big Oak Flat Entrance. That's also probably the longest (well, I-80 to Sacramento might be longer.)

There are other routes that are more scenic and also don't go thru the high elevation. How about Hwy 88 to Hwy 49 to Hwy 120? Scenic, curvy, historic, and unlikely to make people nervous.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tioga pass drive to Yosemite?

Before missing out on one of the great drives in the world, remember that going west into the park, you are on the mountain side, not the dropoff side. There is one point where you can see the road "clinging" to the side of the mountain ahead of you and to the left, and you would be gulping big time, but when you actually get onto that part it doesn't feel "clinging" at all. I am a pretty nervous mountain driver and I've now gone back and forth on the Tioga Pass road several times, and am planning to do so again in July. There are lots of turnouts so you can creep along if you want.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tioga pass drive to Yosemite?

Let's say that you actually dropped off your rental car somewhere around Lake Tahoe, and that you took a bus to Yosemite.

Now, you are somewhere in Yosemite National Park.

Where the heck are you going to rent a car in Yosemite to drive to your next destination? Remember, Yosmite is in a wilderness area and it does not have all the services of a city. Maybe someone knows if there are car rental companies in Yosemite. I seriously doubt there are.

Like someone else said previously, driving west on Tioga Pass Road/Hwy 120 will put you on the "mountain" side of the road.

I think this road still gets a bad rap from when it was so narrow -- going back 50 years ago. Yes, it was a scarey very narrow road back then - oh, I well remember! (DO I remember! In one place on the road, when my family was traveling and we were pulling a travel trailer, I remember that traffic was completely stopped in both directions because some drivers were soooo scared to move. My dad had to get out of our car and walk on the sheer drop-off side of the road -- with his hand on the fender of a car whose driver was scared spitless to go forward. I guess she -- the driver -- figured that when she would see my dad falling over the edge, that would tell her she had gotten too close to the side of the road. Traffic finally got to moving. Meanwhile, I was a kid sitting in the back seat of our car watching my daddy do the 'death walk' and I was praying like a house on fire that the lady would not push my daddy over the cliff with her car.)

The entire road is quite wide now. I would not be worried if I were you. If you take it in stride, and have a full tank of gas -- because the road is quite steep and your vehicle will suck up alot of gas very quickly (gas up in Lee Vining, for example), I think the trip is quite enjoyable. I have driven it alone -- 15 years ago -- and I never panicked! JUST HAVE A FULL TANK OF GAS when you turn off Hwy 395 onto Hwy 120.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
Lee Vining
Lee Vining
California
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tioga pass drive to Yosemite?

You really should not worry. Bite the bullet and drive one of the most scenic drives in the West. Us395 and over Tioga Pass.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
5. Re: Tioga pass drive to Yosemite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:17