We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake almanor, ca

Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lake almanor, ca

Changing from Shasta this year to Lake Almanor :) who can tell me more about it ? The drive from Sac ? Is it winding ? Big Enough for a 20 ft boat ? Water temp ? Things to see ?

Mentioned in this post
Shasta Inn
Shasta Inn
38 Reviews
Mount Shasta, CA
Lake Almanor
Lake Almanor
104 Reviews
Chester, CA
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake almanor, ca

Hi, I live at Lake Almanor. You can head up hwy 32, which is fairly windy but large enough for big boats, RV's, gas tankers, logging trucks. There are few places to pull out in a 30 mile section. You can also head up hwy 36. There is a shorter very windy section (25 mph curves)--over-all this drive is straighter.

The water temperature is fairly warm. The lake isn't deep. This is a popular skiing lake. People move here just for the skiing. There are public launches around the lake.

Things to see:

--bike or walk the 11 mile paved Lake Almanor Trail. It hugs the lake with lots of unique views of Mt Lassen. Off-leash dog friendly.

--pizza at Buffalo Chips in Westwood. They make from scratch, so expect 30 minute wait if you're not calling ahead. Their red sauce is not the best, but their cream sauce pizzas are great (and I usually do not like cream sauce). Northern Exposure & Cabin Fever are my favs.

--boat up to Plumas Pines Resort on the West shore & have a burger.

--Lassen National Park! We're 12 (some dirt road) miles to Drakesbad & Juniper Lake for hikes to lookouts, to active volcanic activity, for lunch/dinner & a swim in a hot springs pool (make a res! ).

--lots of great off roading. I can IM you if interested.

These are just a few for now.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 20:40
Mentioned in this post
Lake Almanor
Lake Almanor
104 Reviews
Chester, CA
Mount Lassen
Mount Lassen
429 Reviews
Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA
The Pines Resort
The Pines Resort
650 Reviews
Bass Lake, CA
Juniper Hotel
Juniper Hotel
448 Reviews
Cupertino, CA
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake almanor, ca

From Sac 32 from Chico is shorter. I just came up 32 on Monday--lots of big boats. Just try not to stress if people are behind you. There's nothing you can do until there is a pull-out or passing lane.

Mentioned in this post
Chico
Chico
California
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake almanor, ca

Hi FitFarmGirl,

If you'd like to share your interests, people in your group, duration of travel perhaps we can offer a few tips. Lake Almanor is a beautiful lake.

http://www.plumascounty.org

Edited: 05 July 2012, 02:35
Mentioned in this post
Lake Almanor
Lake Almanor
104 Reviews
Chester, CA
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake almanor, ca

Plumas Pines also has music (at least a DJ) on some Fridays/Saturdays if you stay near there and want to dance or bar hop.

5. Re: Lake almanor, ca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:46