We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

Australian couple will be travelling between LA & San Fran in August 2012 where is the half way city in driving time. Can only spend 1 night traveling between the 2 ciities. Also which way would be best from Yosemite to Las Vegas have to do this trip in 1 day

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,600 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

Be sure you rent a comfortable car for the long rides.

Stay in Cambria on the coast.

Best way from Yosemite Valley to Las Vegas is via Tioga Road, Hwy 395, & Death Valley. But it's not the fastest way.

Where are you staying for your Yosemite visit? It might be faster to exit a different route (but still not 'best.')

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,713 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Tioga Road
Tioga Road
297 Reviews
Lee Vining, CA
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

Thanks I really appreciate your advice, i have my 50th birthday on this trip so my wife & I have booked a Mustang convertible . We are staying at osemite Lodge at Falls .

Mentioned in this post
The Lodge at Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
1,634 Reviews
Tiburon, CA
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

G'day Stephen,

I am doing the Yosemite (Mammoth Lakes actually) to Las Vegas drive too, and will go via 395 then on to the 168 and the 93 into Vegas.

Best part about this drive is that you get to go past Area 51's back gate, & The Black Mailbox, but it will be stinking hot so a good car is paramount.

Think of it like the Sydney-Broken Hill drive in high Summer for a comparative drive.

The journey I suggested is about 650km's as opposed to 700-ish via Death Valley. Be sure to check you car insurance doesn't have any caveats about Death Valley too - I haven't seen any in quite a while in my rental contracts but it used to be written into the fine print of some contracts.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

Thankyou for your thoughts, what is the back gate & the black mailbox?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

Not a lot of luggage space in the Mustang. And that's before you put the roof down.

I trust you know to rent the car thru a third party provider like Argus or Traveljigsaw.com ? Otherwise, find out what the drop off fee will be for returning the car to a different location from where it was rented. You don't want a nasty surprise when you drop it off.

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

Thanks for your comments Goodaworld, we have arranged to pick up hire car in LA after we have had 4 nights there doing what you do in LA if its your first time there, Universal Studios , Disneyland , hollwood tour etc Then collect car & drive to San Francisco for 3 nights then onwards to Yosemite for 1 night then drive toLas Vegas for 4 nights then return car to LA airport.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do in Las Vegas & San Francisco it would be greatly appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
30,689 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
7. Re: Car trip from LA to San Fran then onto Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 06:17