We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

Haymarket, Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

I'm trying to get some help to plan my trip to CA with my wife and two daughters 10 and 8. We'll be arriving at SF. I'm thinking about doing SF, Yosemite, and maybe LA area. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

When and, most important, how long will you be in Cali?

Haymarket, Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

We will arriving Aug 23th in SFO and leaving Sep 2nd. I'm trying to make best out of this trip.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,406 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

Well, I'm assuming you'll have a car, are arriving in San Francisco and returning home from Los Angeles. Roughly speaking, you'll need 3 days in SF, 3 days in LA, and 3 or 4 days to drive between all of your sites and visit Yosemite.

That would leave 4 or 5 days, part of which you might want to spend at the theme parks (Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure, Knotts Berry Farm, etc) which are in Orange County -- 45 to 60 minutes south of L.A. If you plan to spend at least 2 days at the theme parks, you should stay near them in the city of Anaheim so you can walk to the Parks (and back to the hotel during the day for a rest). Note: Knotts is actually in Buena Park, a short drive from Disneyland.

As far as itineraries within each of the cities, you should post in the forums for those cities. Here's the link for the L.A. forum (note: at the top of the LIST OF TOPICS as well as in the TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of the L.A. forums' home page is useful info including 'itinerary ideas' and 'finding the perfect hotel').

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61-Los_Ang…

Go to each area's forum page (Yosemite has one as well) although the folks in the San Francisco forum can help you with Yosemite as well.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

First of all if you are interested in Yosemite then you need to look to see if there are any accommodations in/near the park! Folks book rooms inside the park 1 year in advance!

I'd go to the Yosemite forum and I think there is a link on the right that explains options for lodging.

I'd do that before anything else!!

Your last weekend is our Labor Day long weekend(Mon. 3rd is bank holiday)

It is a very busy time here in California so booking lodging for the whole trip is important.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,102 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

I am amazed, but there is availability at both Yosemite Lodge at the Falls and Curry Village for Sunday, Aug 26. Wow! Grab the one you want quickly because these will be gone soon.

Th Aug 23: arrive SFO, stay SF

Fr Aug 24: SF

Sa Aug 25: SF

Su Aug 26: 4 hr drive to Yosemite Valley

Mo Aug 27: visit Glacier Point & Mariposa Grove, then head out Hwy 41. Maybe stay Oakhurst or farther across the state in Los Banos.

Tu Aug 28: Monterey

We Aug 29: Pismo Beach

Th Aug 30: Anaheim

Fr Aug 31: Anaheim or L.A.

Sa Sep 1: L.A.

Su Sep 2: fly out of LAX

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

I would avoid being at Disneyland Aug 31-Sept 3 for 2012 since its the busy Labor Day Weekend as well as Disneyland is having a Half Marathon that weekend, the Parks will be very busy.

You may be ok with the itinerary suggested above if you went to Disneyland on Thursday and then a partial day on Friday, but it would be getting busy at Disneyland at least by Friday early evening.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

If ls you can get accom at curry village stay there. It is fab. Girl will love it. We did the Ansell Adam photography tour (free) for children, got a raft and went down the river, did some hiking, there is plenty to do to fill in 4 days here. Personally I would leave out the theme parks and spend time at Pismo and Santa Monica beaches. But we are not really into theme parks. Yosemite is a MUST.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,102 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

Raft rentals in Curry Village will probably be closing soon. The water level is dropping. But the Merced River will still have water for swimming or playing!

Haymarket, Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

Thanks for your replies. I just made a reservation at Curry Village for Sat through Mon. Now, I have to make rest of reservation for other places and do some more research what to see at Yosemite. Thanks again.

10. Re: Trip to CA at the end of August for 10 days...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:46