We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Reno to Crescent City

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Reno to Crescent City

Last year we took an AMAZING trip to the Redwoods and Yellowstone. This year, we are planning on going back to the Redwoods and Crescent City. We are going to stay in Reno for the night before we head there. Last year we drove through Shasta and stopped at this amazing park (about 5 miles off the main road) that had a beautiful river and pools, etc. Unfortunately, we can't remember the name of where we stayed. I just know the turnoff was in a wooded area of the highway/road. Does anyone have any advice as to where to stop in that area for a nice/scenic picnic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Shasta Inn
Shasta Inn
38 Reviews
Mount Shasta, CA
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

When you say "Shasta" that covers a lot of territory and several routes that you might have covered - there's Shasta County, Shasta Lake/Dam, the town of Mt. Shasta, etc. and they can be over 50 miles apart, so hopefully you either know whilch major route you took, or someone else will recognize the area. As I haven't been those routes in years, hopefully lassenrunner or someone else will know and pipe up. Bump.

Mentioned in this post
Shasta Inn
Shasta Inn
38 Reviews
Mount Shasta, CA
Shasta Lake
Shasta Lake
82 Reviews
Shasta Lake, CA
Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta
California
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

Do you mean man made pools? Can you elaborate a bit more? Were there any buildings/camgrounds/resturants. Satelite mapping always helps jog my memory.

The route you'd take is highly scenic. I'd stop at Burney Falls State Park on hwy 89 for lunch. JJ's at Old Station has really good American food and from scratch baked goods. I'd also stop in downtown Ashland, OR.

Mentioned in this post
Burney
Burney
California
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

It might be the falls and pools on the McCloud River?

exploringnorcal.com/2010/07/mccloud-river-fa…

Mentioned in this post
McCloud
McCloud
California
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

There's Hatchet Creek and McCloud Falls that have swimming pools and falls. Both are less than a mile down a dirt road. Did you measure the distance? Driving a dirt road can seem 2-3 times as long as a paved one.

A couple of rivers to work your way from are the McCloud River & the Pitt River.

Mentioned in this post
McCloud Falls
McCloud Falls
68 Reviews
California
McCloud
McCloud
California
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

Thank you! According to Mapquest, we are going to go up 89 through Mt. Shasta and into Oregon. I believe this was the route we took this year.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta
California
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

That is the route I'd take. Do you know you'll be very close to Lassen National Park? Did you remember the place by the river?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

Yes, we went to Lassen last year. Unfortunately it was mostly closed because of the remaining snow pack. I would like to go back this year and spend some time there. We don't have to be in Crescent City until 4 or 5 so we will have plenty of time to mess around a bit. No, I don't remember, but McCloud Falls sounds very familiar and according to the directions it is right off 89 so maybe that was the place. I think we will plan on McCloud Falls as a place to see.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
McCloud Falls
McCloud Falls
68 Reviews
California
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

Don't miss Burney Falls as well. It's right on your route!

If you'd like to drive through Lassen Park without backtracking, take hwy 70 at Hallelluja Junction. Continue through Quincy. After Quincy take a right on hwy 89. Drive on to Lake Almanor. Make a left at the T at hwy 36 toward Lassen. http://goo.gl/maps/3kor

Edited: 11 July 2012, 20:56
Mentioned in this post
Burney
Burney
California
Quincy
Quincy
Plumas County, CA
Lake Almanor
Lake Almanor
104 Reviews
Chester, CA
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

Wow, awesome, thank you!!

10. Re: Driving from Reno to Crescent City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:47