We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go to california?

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Where to go to california?

We want to go now in August for 10 days to California, but we were never there, have no clue where to begin. We would prob land in LAX airport!

We have to kids age 5 and 3 but we dont know yet if we will take them along! Any ideas where we should go?? We like to take things slow not rush through the places.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,649 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go to california?

California is a HUGE state and has too many things to do to list for you.

My first recommendation is to go to the bookstore and get a guide book about California. Read about it and decide what fits into what you and your family enjoy doing.

When you have some more concrete ideas about an itinerary come back to the appropriate post ie.Los Angeles or San Francisco and post some questions.

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,486 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go to california?

A Guide book would help you plan a trip Read CA itineraries on the right side and then you can read about LA in the Los Angeles Forum and the top questions can help you plan a vacation there. CA is HUGE so if you are planning to go to LAX with kids, perhaps staying in LA and then Orange County and San Diego would be cool. You can decide if you want to see and stay on the coast in Santa Monica in LA area and then in Laguna Beach in Orange county or Anaheim if you want to do the disney parks. The San Diego area has zoos, beaches and Legoland (in Carlsbad which is about 40 mins north of SD)

maps.google.com can show you these areas and the distance between them. I would suggest getting a car to travel around.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go to california?

I think you need to decide if kids are coming or not. With kids is completely different trip than without.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go to california?

Ok We not gonna take our kids along, we will go for 1 week only.

We would like to see scenery views, we like to take hikes, see attraction, have fun.

We would wanna go to one area, don't like to be in the car all day to get to destinations. We will have a car.

But we don't know where to go. San Francisco will have to be a different time. So anyone can help?? And is it possible to get like a small 1 bedroom villa?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,323 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go to california?

If you land in LA, have one week, and want to go to one area, then LA it is. Maybe you want to station yourself at a beach city in Orange County (south of Los Angeles).

Is it possible to get a small 1 bedroom villa? In California anything is possible, so long as you are willing to pay.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go to california?

And whats with San Diego?

Central Coast?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go to california?

With only 1 week I wouldn't think of trying to do more than one region.

If I were you I'd look at things in northern CA (SF, wine country and surrounding area) and southern CA (LA, SD, etc.) and decide which has more of what you're looking for.

I'd *might* consider starting in SF or LA and doing a coast drive in between (open jaw flights), but even think that short changes both "ends."

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,486 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go to california?

Great. Did you do any reading online to see what you wanted to do and see in SoCal. Perhaps airbnb.com and vrbo.com can help with vacation rentals. Villas?

Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go to california?

We are planning a trip to California as well. We are traveling with our kids (25 and 27). We will be landing in LA and staying in Santa Monica for probably only one night (relatives there). We would like to drive north to the Hearst Castle, do Napa/Sonoma for maybe two days and San Francisco for an overnight. We hope to make the trip only six days. Are there any other stops we should do along our way?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,398 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go to california?

Hi sherylfran, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

This thread belongs to AnnemiekeNewYork and is all about her child-free trip. Please start a new thread ("Ask A Question" button) and folks can help you with your trip.

AnnemiekeNewYork ~ what do you mean by " And whats with San Diego? Central Coast?" Are you wondering what people do in San Diego? The location of the Central Coast?

I'll ask you: What does "see attractions, have fun" mean to you? Which attractions interest you?