We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco - Seattle Christmas trip - train or car hire?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco - Seattle Christmas trip - train or car hire?

Hi,

We arrive in San Francisco late December and plan to depend a few days there car free exploring. My boyfriend would then like to see the vineyards and I would like to see Yosemite... We fly out of Seattle 3 weeks later.

Trains look very expensive and don't go to many places however will the weather be ok for driving? Will traveling over Christmas be a nightmare?

An finally does anyone have any good tips about what we should definitely not miss on the San Francisco - Seattle journey train or car.

Thank you!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco - Seattle Christmas trip - train or car hire?

The US doesn't "do" trains well. Unlike Europe.

I would definitely hire a car.

California
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco - Seattle Christmas trip - train or car hire?

Definitely rent a car. Major freeways should be fine regardless of weather, but smaller highways especially in the mountains, could be a problem if it storms. Check weather reports before you head out and be prepared.

By "vineyards" I assume you mean the Napa Valley area? The weather is on the mild side in winter and it's a nice time to visit wineries due to lack of crowds. However, please keep in mind most of the vines will be dormant and not the most spectacular looking.

Yosemite valley is usually open year round, but higher elevations will probably be closed. Again, keep your expectations in check for the season.

California
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco - Seattle Christmas trip - train or car hire?

I just wanted to clarify -- you don't need a car while in the city of SF (or in downtown seattle for that matter) but it's the best option to travel between the two with stops.

Easiest way to get directly between the two would be to fly.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco - Seattle Christmas trip - train or car hire?

Car is easy decision, in my opinion.

Trip:

SF

Yosemite

Napa (St Helena)

Mendocino (Coast)

Crescent City (Redwoods)

199 out of Crescent City to I 5 in Oregon.

Above is 8 to 10 days. Maybe Oregon & Washington people can add to trip once north of California.

Exept for possible snow in Yosemite, I don't think weather will be a factor. You could see a lot of rain. But roads are very good.

Edited: 27 July 2012, 00:29
5. Re: San Francisco - Seattle Christmas trip - train or car hire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:17