We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

Tampa, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

Hi All,

I am going to be making a long weekend trip to watch a college football game in Reno on September 8 and was looking for input on how we can maximize our time in the area. We are flying into Sacramento late Wednesday night and staying in a hotel near the airport. We wanted to get up early Thursday and get on the road, but aren't really sure what the best destinations for the time would be. We were thinking maybe Yosemite and then head up to South Lake Tahoe, then up to Reno early Saturday to take in the game. I have been to Tahoe in the winter for skiing, but wasn't sure how much time to spend there this time of year. Our crew also really wants to see Yosemite, but if we aren't really going to have time to look around we don't want to make the long drive out of the way.

Any advice on things to do, see, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,557 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

I'm not sure how you can see Yosemite without making "the long drive out of the way." You could easily make the 3.5 hr drive to Yosemite Valley on Thursday and spend the night in the Valley (currently a room available in Yosemite Lodge at the Falls.) On Friday enjoy Tuolumne Meadows / Tioga Road, exit Tioga Pass, perhaps visit Mono Lake, and head north on Hwy 395 to Lake Tahoe. Stay at Tahoe for Friday night, and continue to Reno on Saturday.

Or just drive to Tahoe on Thursday and spend two nights.

What do you like to do or see?

Info about Yosemite is on the Yosemite forum page including lodging, trip reports, & itinerary ideas (Top Questions & Itineraries in the upper right.)

Lake Tahoe has a page as well. Actually, there are a few Lake Tahoe pages so it's a bit harder to access all the info, bit it's worth spending some time exploring the TripAdvisor pages and perhaps posting specific questions there.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

If you stayed the day you fly in at a hotel/motel on the EAST side of Sacramento, ypu would probably save an hour in the morning by avoiding the commute into Sacramento. I would pick accomodation off of Hwy 50, perhaps near Rancho Cordova, so you are positioned to drive out of the metropolitan area without much clogged .

Go Wolfpack....or, your team

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,355 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

For the first night, if you are going to Yosemite, stay somewhere south of Sac, say Elk Grove.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

University of South Florida vs. University of Nevada. There probably won't be many of you guys in the stands - the wolf pack has some great energetic fans.

Ok- I think you can pull off what you want to do. I know you are getting in late with a three hour time difference, but I would recommend you get out of the airport area as two others have already mentioned. The commute traffic is not fun, and not being familiar with the area makes it worse. I think you might be able to make an easy traffic late drive to Oakdale to a cheap motel (price). This will put you in line to get to the Yosemite Valley early in the day. You can check out the valley floor- short hikes? Then drive out through Tioga Pass along Hwy 395 north to South Lake Tahoe. This is a beautiful drive! Spend the night and then you are in a good position to head to the game.

It sounds like a fun trip to me.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,557 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

When I fly into SMF, I prefer to use I-5 all the way to Stockton. So if the drive to Oakdale seems too far for your first night, consider the Elk Grove or Stockton options along I-5. Note that Hwy 99 also runs through Elk Grove & Stockton, so pay attention to where the hotel / motel is located. Using the map feature on the TA hotel page is a great idea.

If you're headed to Tahoe and skipping Yosemite entirely, then getting to the east side of Sacramento makes sense.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

Agree with above:

- I 5 to Stockton on Wednesday for overnight; only an hour or so drive.

- I 5 to 120 to Yosemite on Thursday

- Friday in Yosemite. Finish at Mono Lake for motel

- Saturday AM 395 to Reno.

A bit rushed but doable.

7. Re: Sacramento to Reno Trip Ideas Tahoe? Yosemite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 22:17