We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 Days stay in CA

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
10 posts
Save Topic
20 Days stay in CA

Hi all,

Just wanted little bit help here, I am a foreigner and planning to visit CA for business followed by a 20 days vacation. I am going to stay in SF for 5 days due to business then the vacation will start with 4 days in LA then 4 days in Las Vegas. So i will be left with 12 days and I really don't know where to go to. So any suggestions? just a note you will find that i have spend like 14 days in crowded cities so I don't mind seeing the wonders of mother nature for the rest of the vacation.

Thanks all

Mentioned in this post
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

Will you be self driving or using public transportation? Self driving is the best way to really see California, as our bus and train systems are just basic ways of getting from Point A to Point B.

If you self drive, you could rent a car from SF and do something along the lines of:

Yosemite: 2 nights

Monterey/Carmel: 2 nights

Big Sur: 1 night

Cambria or Pismo Beach: 1 night

Santa Barbara: 2 nights

LA: 3 or 4 nights

Grand Canyon: 2 nights

Las Vegas: 3 nights

The above plan leaves one or two nights open at your discretion. Do some research on the above suggestions and add a night to an area that interests you.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

When? It makes a difference.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

It does depend on what time of year this trip takes place.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,317 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

Kibblesmom has a wonderful itinerary but it always helps to get a good guide book or check out an online one and then map your route online on any map site such as mapquest or google and see distances. If you are coming in Summer then you will feel right at home in Vegas as the temps are close to what you may be having in Riyadh If you come in Winter it will be different but so will driving conditions in our Sierras.

Please do read up and then come back with some specifics on what you like to do and see (yes nature) so that we can help you better. Are you coming to the Us alone or with family ?

For each city, there are top questions on what to do and what to see as well as trip reports on the SF forum. The California forum has sample itineraries for you to review as well.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 20:25
Mentioned in this post
Sheffield England
Level Contributor
465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

Belomiser your reply above refers to sample itinerary's - where are they?

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

Thank you all

I will be there by Oct (yes in one month and a half) and planning to rent a car as I guess it better whenever my trip spans multiple cities.

BTW, is it wise visit nearby States?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

Well, Las Vegas is in a nearby state (Nevada) and the Grand Canyon that I recommended for a visit is in Arizona, so that would be 3 states overall that you could potentially be visiting. That's more than enough with the amount of time that you have.

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,023 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

smh1954 ~ every TA forum page has a section called Top Questions about xxx and xxx Itineraries in a box in the upper right. Some forums have loaded their Top Q & Itineraries with terrific info. The Top Q on the California forum has excellent links to info about the Hwy 1 drive. The Top Questions / FAQs on the L.A. page is stuffed full of treasures. I think it's always a great idea to explore those sections.

Affar2k ~ the popular loop that visitors enjoy is something like this (either direction) SFO - SF - Yosemite - Lone Pine (eastern Sierra drive) - Las Vegas (with a drive thru visit of Death Valley NP) - Grand Canyon - L.A. - Cambria / Pismo Beach - Monterey - SFO In October, Tioga Pass is open; this is the most scenic way to exit Yosemite NP and head over toward Las Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
469 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
So Cal
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

Affar2k, if you'll be here in about 6weeks, then room availability might dictate what you can do. Accomodations in national parks (e.g. Yosemite, Grand Canyon) can sell out quickly, even in the off seasons. So you might want to read up on those places enough to decide if you really do want to see them, and book something quickly. It would be a shame to miss them.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,182 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20 Days stay in CA

Do you consider the "business" part of your stay in San Francisco the same as visiting it? Or are you interested, maybe, in making it part of your "vacation days"?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California