We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Northern California?

UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Northern California?

We are travelling from San Francisco to Newport OR, want a stopover for about a week. Have looked at coastal towns but the temperatures are a bit low for us, seem to be high 50/60s. Cany anyone recommend an area a little more inland where it will hopefully be warmer. Open to any suggestions. Just looking for a place to chill, sit outside etc.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

When is this trip?

UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

Soon, Round 23 August.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

Those are typical temperatures for the Northern California and Oregon Coasts in August. If you want warmer temps, you just have to drive inland a little ways. A place like Garberville will be near 90 each day. In fact, most of Hwy 101 from San Francisco to Eureka is well inland and quite toasty. Whether you would want to spend a week in any of its towns though would be questionable. The tourist attractions are mostly along the coast. The Avenue of the Giants is an exception and you could explore it from Garberville or another town on Hwy 101 but a week might be too much.

There would be a lot more to do if you stayed in Sonoma County on or near Hwy 101. This is just an hour or so north of the Golden Gate Bridge but the weather is beautiful, there's a spectacular coastline, wine country, redwoods, and you are close to the City if you want to explore it.

Otherwise, you could go up to Oregon on the inland route, Interstate 5. You could stay in the Ashland/Medford area or drive up to Bend and stay in the Eastern Cascades. This is a beautiful high desert area with beautiful lakes, rivers, lava flows, mountains, and wonderful breweries. Bend would be my number one choice for a week's stay at the end of August.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

Bend or Sunriver which is really close to Bend but more of a vacation spot.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,305 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

Is this correct?

Leaving San Francisco around Thursday, August 23.

Have one week to get to Newport, OR.

Want to stay in one place for the week. Prefer a warm location where you plan to just hang out and enjoy views / nature.

--------------

How about Ashland OR? Roseburg? What do you really want to do when you get to this destination? Just stroll around town & maybe take day trips? If Oregon appeals to you, try posting on their forum. If you'd prefer to stay in California, how about Redding where it will be hot, hot, hot.

Do you already have lodging reservations for the Labor Day holiday weekend, or will you be gone by then?

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

Ashland would be nice and warm! We stayed at Wolf Creek Inn last Sunday and temps were in the 90's. It is much cooler here in Seaside, misting a little right now. Have fun! :)

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

A stopover for a week. I'll vote for Ashland. It is not far off your route--199 from Crescent City-- and there is so much to see & do. Aside from Ashland there is Jacksonville, the Oregon Caves, Crater Lake, and more. It should be 90's and higher there.

You can also take river trips from the OR coast. 20- 30 minutes up & it is hot. I haven't done these trips, but my mother has and she says they are really good. She saw racoons, deer, and even a bear. I guess they actually deliver mail on these trips too.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

Here is my suggestion:

- Take 101 out of SF to Garberville; spend TWO nights at Benbow Inn just south of Garberville. It is an older luxury hotel with great grounds; beautiful views out from rooms in back. A couple regulars here always jump up "...but it is right off the freeway...". It is not but, regardless, there is no noise. Benbow has a great lobby & bar plus a nice patio in back for sipping wine. Food is expensive so eat in Garberville. Explore Humbolt Redwoods & Avenue of the Giants. It should be warm to hot.

- Continue up 101 to Crescent City; spend ONE night. Yes, it will be cool/cold but you will see some of the greenest places on earth & the best of the Redwoods; go to Jedidiah Smith State Park.

- Take 199 over to I 5 to Ashland; spend FOUR nights. Great little college town with very professional Shakespear Theater group. Lots of neat places to eat; explore local park. Cute shops, etc. See at least one play at open air theater. Drive up to Medford to see Harry & David's main store. Drive up to Grant's Pass for a jet boat ride (this is a must do). It will be hot to very hot.

HWY 101 is a very scenic hwy with part 2 lane, part 4 lane but easy to drive.

Now, if you want one place, go to Ashland but I'll guarantee above will be great trip. You can get to Ashland from SF by going I 80 to I 5. Boring, very boring.

HWY 42 out of Roseburg is one way to get to coast & Newport; there may be others. try posting in Oregon forum.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 23:03
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

I have never stayed at the Benbow Inn, but I've always thought it is in such a pretty spot. There is little to zero traffic at night on 101 that far north.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Northern California?

Sounds like you want to spend a week in ONE place (not roaming all over) that is a logical place to stop between SF and NewPort. If you don't want the coast, there are several places along Rt 5 (the main highway) that will do the trick. Which you choose will depend on what you like to do.

Ashland is good if you like theater and artsy places. If you like hiking and the outdoors, Mount Shasta, Mount Lassen or Crater Lake is a good alternative that you might want to look into. I know friends that just rent a house boat on the lake and chill out on the lake itself for the whole week at Lake Shasta.