We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California west coast road trip

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
California west coast road trip

Hi,

Me and my friends are travelling to California next thursday on a two week west coast road trip. We start in San Fran and travel down paciffic 1 route, visiting san diego and LA, along with other places.

Could anybody inform me of what the expected dress codes are for bars and clubs on a night over there please?

Also if anyone has done this route and has any breath taking experiences they would recommend we consider doing, please feel free to share.

Many Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,297 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California west coast road trip

Hi liam n

I sure hope you have lodging reservations! Labor Day weekend is a very popular time for tourism, and September is just about the best weather along the coast so there are lots & lots of travelers.

Descriptions of the Hwy 1 drive, towns, and scenic stops are all included in the Top Questions about California in the upper right. I assume you're picking up your reserved rental car AFTER you visit San Francisco.

The city/destination forum pages have great Top Questions as well. In particular, the ones on the L.A. and SF forum pages are loaded with great stuff. Read through that information, then post your specific questions there.

Have a great trip.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,762 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California west coast road trip

I think the dress code is dictated more by the weather in SF and along the coast and in LA and SD than by a code in bars. Casual is fine but in SF, one dresses in layers because it is cold

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California west coast road trip

As long as you are (mostly) covered, you are fine; shoes optional!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California west coast road trip

<<shoes optional>>

Perhaps on the beach, but most establishments require shoes/sandals and a shirt.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California west coast road trip

I was attempting humor.

La Quinta...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California west coast road trip

The most breath taking thing on Pacific Coast Hwy is the scenery. It's a narrow winding road so give yourself plenty of time or consider the 101 if you get pressed for time. Cambria, Cayucus and Morro Bay are quaint central California coastal towns worthy of at least a look if not lunch. Also in the area is the college town of San Luis Obispo. Try and take a stroll in the downtown area. 100 miles farther south is Santa Barbara -- a beautiful city inhabited by the rich and the homeless. Continuing south I would avoid the

Ventura/Oxnard area and drive on to LA. However, when you reach Oxnard you'll need to assess the time situation because traffic from that point on will be slow-and-go at best. As far as clubs go, Sunset Blvd in Hollywood would be the place. Drive past most of Orange County as quickly as you can until you come to San Juan Capistrano and have a beer at the Swallows Inn. Then just enjoy the drive to San Diego and be sure to visit their world famous zoo. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me at <sjjuly4@gmail.com>

Have a great trip.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California west coast road trip

I'm afraid I can't help you but I was looking at doing something similar myself in a few years. I want to travel from san diego up to san fransisco hitting LA and Montery bay on the way. Can anyone suggest the best way to get around? E.g. can you get a train from each city or would a hire car be best? The only problem is that I will not be driving all the way back down to San Diego to drop the car back off as I plan to go to Nevada afterwards (:

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California west coast road trip

Welcome to the forum Amy. This is an old thread and best to open a new topic for yourself. Hit the "ask a question". button for that. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

9. Re: California west coast road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:17