We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Country hotel/restaurant recommendations needed

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Gold Country hotel/restaurant recommendations needed

We're looking to stay 1 night in Gold Country, eating in a very good restaurant (with a nice hotel nearby). Some postings on Chowhound are a bit dated, but here's what I've gleaned for the destination-type restaurants (and some nearby hotels picked from TripAdvisor):

Taste, in Plymouth (Thur-Mon only) (Plymouth House Inn)

Carpe Vino, Auburn (anything besides a Holiday Inn-type chain recommendation?)

Diegos, Grass Valley (Courtyard Suites, or ??)

Are these restaurants still good? Anything else worth the drive (my husband's agreed to make the trip based on dinner at a really good restaurant)? Any better hotel suggestions in those areas? I've considered the Columbia Hotel, but it doesn't look like they serve dinner any more.

Thanks in advance!

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Amador County, CA
Auburn
Auburn
Placer County, CA
Grass Valley Courtyard Suites
Grass Valley Courtyard...
272 Reviews
Grass Valley, CA
So.Cal
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Country hotel/restaurant recommendations needed

Although we lived between Auburn and Grass Valley for years, just did a search and it looks like our favorite restaurants are no longer around, so no help there. There aren't too many non-chain hotels, but check out the 130 year old National Hotel in Nevada City for something truly different and historical. They also have (or used to, at least!) a very nice dining room. Nevada City is a much more charming town than either Grass Valley or Auburn, and it's only a few miles beyond Grass Valley. Check there for more upscale restaurants also - there used to be several.

We ate at Taste in Plymouth in February - food was excellent, but we thought it was overpriced and somewhat pretentious - lots of very long preparation descriptions by the waiter - our eyes were kind of glazed over before he finished and we could get on with ordering. I wouldn't go out of my way to go back, but it's probably the only upscale restaurant in the area. We stayed at the Shenandoah Inn - clean, adequate, but nothing outstanding. They did have a nice pool area with a view of the surrounding hills where we sat and opened our bottle of wine.

Mentioned in this post
Auburn
Auburn
Placer County, CA
Grass Valley
Grass Valley
California
National Hotel
National Hotel
120 Reviews
Nevada City, CA
Nevada City
Nevada City
California
Plymouth
Plymouth
Amador County, CA
Shenandoah Inn
Shenandoah Inn
216 Reviews
Plymouth, CA
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Country hotel/restaurant recommendations needed

My wife & I have enjoyed several fine dinners at Monkey Cat in Auburn. Link:

http://www.monkeycat.com/

I'd give it a 8 or 9 out of 10. Service can be a bit spoty.Generally good wine selection.

Come to think of it, about time for us to go back.

Mentioned in this post
Monkey Cat
Monkey Cat
152 Reviews
Auburn, CA
Auburn
Auburn
Placer County, CA
3. Re: Gold Country hotel/restaurant recommendations needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2013, 10:16