We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs

west mids
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs

Hi

We have rented a villa with a pool in Temecula next July and have suddenly realised there is no net over the pool which we are used to having previously rented in Florida.

Are bugs not generally a problem or is there some other precaution we should take?

Many thanks.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,582 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs

We don't have a huge bug problem in California. Yes, we have them, but nothing like Florida. Most filtration systems will work them out of your pool or you can use the pool screen to scoop them out. No big deal.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs

Agree! Temecula has a hot dry climate so not the hot humid climate of Florida.

Bugs don't like it so much! I have not seen a pool here with a net over it.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs

CA is not FL, not by a long stretch. FL is way southern and tropical, SoCal is arid by nature and Temecula even more so.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs

I've never seen a bug net anywhere, in any home, at any time, in California.

Why are you staying all the way out in Temecula?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs

There are some beautiful homes in Temecula.

I imagine the price for a large house with a pool is much less expensive than for one in a closer suburb of San Diego or LA.

Temecula will be hot and will be 1 hr. drive to San Diego and to beaches.

west mids
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs

Thanks for all the information, thats very reassuring.

The post above answers the question why Temecula?

There are 8 of us so we need a fairly big villa and Temecula seems to be slightly cheaper than the coast or LA but within an hour or so drive to LA, San Diego and the coast which are the places we want to visit.

Many thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs

1 hour drive between Temecula and San Diego... longer during morning or afternoon rush hours. More than 1 hour from Temecula to LA or Anaheim. So you're going to spend 2 hours of every single day just driving. I would find something within San Diego County for your days in San Diego. Temecula is HOT in July as mentioned... 98 or 99 as the average high every afternoon in July. 60 for the average nighttime low. It's dry, not humid like Florida, but still HOT and no ocean breeze to benefit from like you would get in San Diego County. Not much to see or do in Temecula either. Wineries, suburbs, chain restaurants... that's about it. I would try to find places that are closer to the things you want to visit.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs

Just a point of reference. We don't call houses "villas" here.

They are just vacation rental homes.

To us a "villa" conjures up a picture of some sort of European mansion in the countryside.

LA
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs

I would allow 2 hours to drive from Temecula to the coast. It could easily be a 4 hour round trip on a weekend.

I would never stay in Temecula in July, pool or no pool. It will be blazing hot.

Temecula is not a reasonable alternative for a place to stay to visit the California coast.

west mids
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs

We do realise there will be a fair bit of driving but we wanted a base for the fortnight rather than keep moving and we do quite enjoy driving in USA.

As regards calling the houses villas I am a little confused as they seem to be mostly villas in Florida and the house in Temecula we have booked is actually called a villa in the advert so a little puzzling but no big deal I suppose!

Thanks for all the advice.