We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to see the Redwoods/Jenner and Napa and Sonoma

Trip to see the Redwoods/Jenner and Napa and Sonoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 07:41
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to see the Redwoods/Jenner and Napa and Sonoma

Depending on how much of the redwoods you want to see, it can take a few days.

First thought:

- Jenner

- find 101 north to Gaberville; overnight; explore Avenue of Giants.

- Continue north on 101 to Crescent City which, in my opinion, is heart of redwoods. Go to Jedidiah Smith SP. Stay 2 nights at CC.

- Drive back to healdsburg (which you will pass going north on 101).

You might think of a variation: going north on HWY 1 to Mendocino. You would see a lot of coast.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to see the Redwoods/Jenner and Napa and Sonoma

There is no need in your short time to go so far north. You can't really do that comfortably with just 2 nights IMO. A LOT of driving. Just 13 miles from Jenner there is Armstrong Grove State Park.

russianrivertravel.com/parks-armstrong.htm

I will give you the link to an outlined day trip which starts in San Francisco and goes up the coast from Bodega Bay to the Russian River and Armstrong Grove Redwoods State Park. It then goes through the Sonoma Valley wine country and back to the city. It can be expanded.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

If it looks interesting to you then I would not stay in Jenner....it is a little out of the way, but more important, lodging is very limited there. I would consider Bodega Bay, which is 10 miles down the coast from Jenner if you want to be on the water (The Bodega Bay Lodge) or Guerneville, where Armstrong Grove is located.

Then you could stop using the day tour instructions and go to Healdsburg, which is close to Guerneville and do some wine country things there.

Calistoga is about 35 miles from Healdsburg if you go up Healdsburg Valley Road to Hwy 128 and turn right.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 01:34
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to see the Redwoods/Jenner and Napa and Sonoma

Depends on how much of the Redwoods you want to see. The best is north of Garberville. And the drive itself up 101 is really pretty. Personally, I'd drop a night or two in wine country and go to Crescent City. Plus nice coast line in parts from Eureka north.

You ever driven up to Crescent City, Puter?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to see the Redwoods/Jenner and Napa and Sonoma

Hi DAMc,

Yes dear, I have been to Crescent City and all over the state of California. My husband and I photographed and got statistics on every County courthouse in California, past and present. Crescent City is the county seat of Del Norte County and I am sorry to say they have a sad courthouse. :~)

OP only has about a week. . It seems foolish to me to drive all the way up to the northern California redwoods when they can see just as wonderful redwoods on their way to wine. They only have about a week and want to do the wine country. The driving up there would take up four days of their week.

I just don't get it why they should go all the way to the Redwood National Forest for a peek when they can visit a lovely park in Sonoma County with the same age redwoods and have time to hike around it.

5. Re: Trip to see the Redwoods/Jenner and Napa and Sonoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 17:19