We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 nights northern California road trip

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 nights northern California road trip

Hello,

My wife and I are fairly new to Sacramento and during the week of thanksgiving want to take a road trip to northern California.

Here is what I need help with:

I need itinerary suggestions

How will the weather be during November

I am open to changing this road trip to a different direction if the weather does not permit.....so please suggest an alternative.

Thank you Tripadvisor family.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,498 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

Which specific part of Northern Ca are you planning on visiting. As strange as it sounds, SF and north including SAC are all parts of Northern Ca.

Do you mean the Redwood National Park and the Area around Lassen and Mt Shasta or Mendocino and Fort Bragg ?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

What are you thinking of seeing? Mountains? Ocean? City?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

A trip to Napa, Sonoma, or Mendocino wouldn't be very far from Sac. Around Thanksgiving is usually cool, but nice. Every third year or so there is a huge rain storm around that time. This is off my memory.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

Both if possible. We love nature and are active.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

Is it possible to do both? If not, I think Mendocino is high on our list.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

Both, as in city and nature? You could spend 2 nights in SF and 2 in Mendocino. To me that seems very reasonable for the travel times, but you'll have to decide.

This is the route I like taking to SF from hwy 80:

http://goo.gl/maps/YX5Hv

On your way up to Mendocino there are different routes you might take. Some will show you a little of Sonoma/Healdsburg and one is entirely along hwy 1--a spectacular, but slow & windy drive. There are lots of threads about this route on TripAdvisor.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

I lived in Sac several years ago. How much driving do you want to do? Budget? Are you trying to get away or get to know the area closer to Sac?Hotels in some areas will fill in advance. Yoselmite is doable. There are also many lovely Gold Rush towns along Highway 49, and you could visit parks such as Malakoff Diggings State Park or Columbia State Park. Lassen is scenic and not as crowded as Yosemite.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 16:50
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,364 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

Malakoff pretty much shuts down in October and in most years, the Lassen Road is closed by mid-November. For travel during Thanksgiving week, I would stick to the coast. If it rains there, it will not usually close the highways. Mendocino and Fort Bragg are very popular during the Thanksgiving weekend so make reservations as early as possible.

You can also go up to the redwoods but with limited daylight at that time of year, the groves can appear dark and gloomy for much of the day. There are better times of the year to visit Redwood National Park.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

How about:

- Night 1: Bodega Bay.(North on HWY 1 the next day)

- Night 2 & 3: Mendocino (return via HWY 128)

- Night 4: St. Helena (Napa valley)

You get coast, wine, and Redwoods (great grove along 128. 128 also has wineries; try Navarro.). If you like this I can post specific suggestions on food/rooms.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 nights northern California road trip

Lassen is great when the road is closed. There isn't a ton to do other than admire the scenery unless you XC ski or snowshoe. You need to be prepared to drive in the snow too. I would save this trip for the summer or fall.

Being in Sacramento you're really are very close to some amazing destinations.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 19:29