We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

My partner and I are travelling to California next year, we are flying from Glasgow to San Francisco and returning from San Diego - we have 3 nights booked in San Fran, and 3 in San Diego. We are looking to do a wine tour consisting of two nights in may after San Fran. We will have a car however don't want to go to far into napa valley as we will will be making our way down to san d. Any advice most welcome!!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

Napa is just an hour north of San Francisco. If that's too far, consider visiting the Paso Robles or Santa Barbara wine regions on your way to San Diego. You will be driving right through them if you take the coastal route.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

How many days do you have planned to drive to San Diego? Or are you flying?

To answer your question Napa wine country is along HWY 29...more or less between Napa & Calistoga which are not that far apart. Anywhere between the two will be fine.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

We are driving down to San Diego, however can spend two nights in napa, just looking for nice vineyard if you could recommend any? Thanks, s

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

For the Napa Valley, there are hundreds of vineyards to visit. Most people tend to go to the ones they are familiar with and drink at home. For first time visitors, it's probably best to start with the wineries on Highway 29. Here's a guide to some of the more popular ones:

http://www.napatouristguide.com/wineries.html

How many days are you planning on taking for your drive to San Diego? There's lots to see and do along that route. Many people don't allocate enough time for it.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

Thank you for the link I shall look into it. We will be taking 6 days (3 San Fran, 2 napa valley, and 3 sand Diego) . Thank you for your help, much appreciated, morna

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

Wow. You should go to the California forum and post your itinerary and get feedback. But before you do that please read the top questions on the CA forum and then please go to maps.google.com and map your route. The more specific you are the more we can help you. It is over 800 Kms between Napa and San Diego and will need at least 2 overnights by the scenic route or about 9 hours on the freeway without stops or traffic

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

This is the California forum.

morna - If you only have 8 days total in California, I think it's a mistake to try to do both Northern and Southern California. But, if that's really what you want to do, I would cut out Napa and spend those two days seeing the Central California coast on your way to San Diego. As I said before, there are plenty of wineries you can visit in the Paso Robles and Santa Barbara wine regions.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

Thanks for your reply, sorry I have been unclear. It's 3 days San Fran, then 8 days spare then 3 in San Diego. We originally considered Yosemite however thought napa would be closer and more relaxing and also we heard about A health scare in yosemite caused by mice?

Many thanks

Morna

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

Yosemite Monterey and Pismo or further south Santa Barbara would be places to visit enroute after Napa. I would urge you to read about the virus on the Yosemite forum and on the official NPS website and look at the facts before you scratch that park off

Sorry I am on a iPhone and did not see which forum this was posted on

10. Re: 2day wine tour in napa ideally - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:17