We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

Sacramento...
5 posts
Save Topic
luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

Hi all

I am planning to propose to my GF few days before xmas. I know she loves nature scene, so I am looking for a luxury hotel with either ocean or lake view and a nice balcony to propose in Northern California. Budget is within $700 per night

Any suggestion is truely appreciated!!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,815 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

Well I wouldn't necessarily have the hotel have to be the place that has the lake or ocean view because that might be a tough one.

I'd think about the Ritz Carlton at Northstar-at-Tahoe and then find a place on the lake to propose.

Or the Fairmont or Mandarin in San Francisco and same thing, find a scenic place from there.

Or Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford (Napa Valley) overlooking the wine country.

Sacramento...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

Thank you for the suggestions, I am getting so nervous!!! can't believe this is happening in 2 months!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,308 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

I second the Ritz at Northstar. There is the Ritz at Half Moon Bay for the Ocean View. Another place which has views but is more cottage based is the Lodge at Cavallo point in Sausalito. All the very best

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,367 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

My favorite choice would be to take a short ferry ride (I think it's about a 15 minute ride) to one of the most beautiful places on earth (when it comes to unspoiled beauty) and that place is Tiburon. Here are some pics of the place (click the '>' for more pics):

http://tinyurl.com/8q9exl7

but, to be honest, you cannot get a true feel for how serene, and 'other worldly', (really, it feels like a fairy tale place) this place is.

I drove through the area with someone I didn't care anything about and I almost proposed marriage over lunch.

I don't know anything about accommodations in Tiburon; I'll let others comment on that but perhaps, you'd be best to stay in SF so that you'll have that 15 minute ferry ride during which time you'll break into a sweat and get an upset stomach -- indications that you're making the right decision.

Good luck!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

If you really want upscale, the Ritz in half moon bay can not be beat. Just tell them your plans so you get a great room over looking the ocean. Plus, they used to have a guy walking around in the evening playing a bagpipe.

If he is still there he might play outside your room (on the grounds) while you propose or leading up to your proposal.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

if you want something a little more relaxed but classy, you might think about the Sea Rock Inn in Mendocino. We looked at a room that had a room with hot tub that over looked the ocean. Hot tub, ocean, champagne, ring....sounds good to me!

There are other motels with great views in Mendo.

Sacramento...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

thank you!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

ha, ha. I'm trying to imagine bag pipes sounding romantic. :)

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

I will throw in the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley. It is an old world luxury hotel with balconies that have great views of the entire San Francisco bay area. It would make a good spot to pop the "question".

http://www.claremontresort.com/

Sacramento...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: luxury hotel to propose in Northern California

took the advice of Ritz in half moon bay, thanks everyone, waiting for the big day to come!!!!