We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Hey Guys,

I am planning a trip with parents who have come to visit me in Chicago from India. I was wondering what would be the most convenient itinerary to follow for a 5 day trip in mid November. I was thinking about taking them to Grand Canyon. Then fly to San Francisco, spend a day and then drive to Lake Tahoe. But can you tell me if there is any other places around to go? I am not sure about taking them to Vegas, they will find it boring. They are more into seeing scenic views.

Thanks in advance!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Most convenient would be 5 days in SF. The weather can be unpredictable in mid November. If you planned a driving trip of SF, Tahoe, Vegas Grand Canyon you'll have very long drives each day and the trip to Tahoe could take 4 times as long & you might get stuck there for an extra night.

Maybe fly to SF, then fly to Vegas, drive to Grand Canyon & fly out of Vegas. Still very little time to see these places though.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

It is hard to give you advise given the short time you have and you are trying to do places that are spread out. Tahoe may have rain or snow given that we are seeing rains at this time so you may need chains and it may be snowing there. I think you get enough of that in Chicago (or will get that soon). There is so much to see in CA itself. With 5 days I would pick an area such as SoCal or NorCal and spend the days there.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Agree with above.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

If they enjoy scenery, and you're thinking of starting with the Grand Canyon, I would stick with the southwest area rather than trying to fly all over the west in only 5 days. E.g. Perhaps the Grand Canyon plus Bryce and Zion, or Grand Canyon and Sedona. San Francisco and Lake Tahoe would be a completely separate trip. With that short a time, I think you need to pick just one area.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Think I would go to SF with day trips, or 1 over night, to:

Monterey (over night)

or

Mendocino (over night)

and maybe a day trip to Sonoma wine country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Sorry to be brutal here, Elaine, but I think you need to have a long look at a map and see the craziness of what you are suggesting.

If you had ten or fourteen days, fine. You have five. Pick somewhere, or two places a maximum of a couple of hundred miles apart, and go there.

Have you asked your parents what they want to do? Where they want to go. And whether they want all the travelling you're planning.

You have to decide where you want to go most and plan your trip around that.

If it's San Francisco then day trips to Monterey and Sonoma/Napa are options. As would be a trip with a couple of overnights between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

If it's Tahoe then consider San Francisco or Reno.

If it's the Grand Canyon make the trip Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

Anything more than any of these trips is madness in five days.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Flying in to Phoenix, see Sedona, visit Grand Canyon and drive to Las Vegas easily will fill your five days. There can be dropoff charges for the rentalcar. You'll need reservations for GC www.grandcanyonlodges.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Shame we haven't heard back from Elaine.

Edited: 30 October 2012, 14:06
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

It has only been 1 day.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand canyon/Lake Tahoe and what else?

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

And Sorry LDN_2009 it took me a bit long to reply back as I have been very busy with school lately.

I can see what everyone is suggesting. I think I would go with what most of you are saying, visit either San Francisco or Grand Canyon and Vegas.