We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Anaheim to Long Beach

Northern Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
LA Anaheim to Long Beach

Planning on doing a trip around California late August early September. At the end of the trip I will have a few spare days before I fly home. Was hoping I could visit some relatives in Long Beach.

What would be the best way to get from Anaheim to Long Beach bearing in mind that I won't have a car. If someone could give me an idea about distances and times and bus or train recommendations.

Flying home from LAX. What would be the best way to get from Long Beach to LAX. And how long would I have to leave for the journey to get me there in plenty of time for the flight.

Thanks for your help.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Anaheim to Long Beach

We'll start with the LAX transfer first.

You have three options:1

1. Taxi -- the quickest, most convenient and also the most expensive method -- about $70 to $80 (during 'commuter hours' the ride takes longer, so the fare is more). Generally, the ride will be about 40 minutes, closer to an hour during commuter hours (between 6:00 and 9:00 and between 15:00 and 19:00).

2. Enterprise rent-a-car has an office close to the port of LONG BEACH at 438 W. Ocean Bl, Long Beach, CA 90802. Their telephone number is: 562-495-1149. (You will need to put a "1" in front of that number if you are calling from a "land line" within the U.S.) Here's a link to their website: http://www.enterprise.com/

If you are picking up the car in Long Beach, type in 90802 (it's the postal -- zip -- code of the office you'll be using) on Line #1. Select the office on Ocean Blvd. Call the office to make arrangements or reserve online. They will pick you up and bring you to their office, at no charge.

If you drop the car at a different office than where you picked it up (like LAX) , there will be a surcharge added to the published rate (it will be explained in the contract you sign). The surcharge generally runs about $40. The one-day rate between Long Beach and LAX will run between $75 and $85 (including this surcharge and exclusive of gasoline, any insurance you might purchase and, of course, any parking charges). You might not have to purchase insurance if the credit card you will be using has automatic insurance coverage as part of your benefits. Check with your credit card issuer. If you keep the car for more than one day, the surcharge is not applied daily: it is a one-time charge.

Renting/Hiring a car is about the same price as a taxi but if you have the time for a little touring, a car is a great option.

3. Shuttle bus -- Prime Time Shuttle (redvans.com) offers a "shared van" service to and from Long Beach. If you pick up the shuttle at either the QUEEN MARY HOTEL or the CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES PORT, the fare is less expensive than if the van picks you up elsewhere. (They may also be more prompt as there will be others waitng at these popular pick-up points). On their home page, click on RESERVATIONS AND FARE QUOTES in the red area on the left side of the window. Click the appropriate box on the next page. Then on the following page, fill in the date and time of your arriving flight and then, under "PICKUP LOCATION", you can either type in the address at whcih you are staying or click on the PORTS AND POPULAR STOPS 'drop down menu' and select either the "QUEEN MARY" or "CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES -- LONG BEACH TERMINAL". (Be sure that you DO NOT, select the "The Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center!). Select the number of passengers and suitcases traveling. The fare is $16 per person each way (from QUEEN MARY OR CARNIVAL PORT -- it is slightly more from other locations).. Count on it taking about 1-1/2 hours to get to the airport as there may be delays while passengers are picked up and dropped off on the way.

Good luck!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Anaheim to Long Beach

to add just a tidbit more.....check out www.visitlongbeach.com for discounts on shuttle services and more.

Have fun!

Northern Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Anaheim to Long Beach

Thanks for your help and advice. The shuttle bus sounds like a good option for me. As for renting a car I've never driven on the right hand side of the road and would be a bit nervous about it. Taxis sound convenient but a bit pricey. I'll just have to weigh up the pros and cons when I get there.