We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san diego to reno via hwy 395

City of Greater...
Level Contributor
20 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
san diego to reno via hwy 395

Hi ,we are traveling to usa in june and wish to drive from san diego to reno via hwy 395 ,before headig to sfo . what are the roads like , how long will it take . happy to stop overnight ,any ideas and advice would be appreciated len

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

The roads are fine. Much of 395 is divided highway. It's a spectacular drive. Takes about 10 hours. Best to stop for the night and break the trip especially if you are going to stop and see the sights along the way. Recommend Mammoth Lakes since it will be cooler there in June than in Lone Pine or Bishop.

Why Reno? Suggest you go through Yosemite to San Francisco instead.

Use google maps to plan your drive.

City of Greater...
Level Contributor
20 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

Hi Supercilious, Thanks for the reply ,very handy info ,we are going on a round trip my wife wants to see reno ,after which we head to sfo and then a couple of days in your neck of the woods ,Napa Valley looking forward to that , then back to LA via Coast rd . cheers Len

So.Cal
Level Contributor
355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

Agree that it is a spectacular drive. What time of year are you doing this? We've done parts of the trip several times and the whole trip twice - once in May, when we had clear blue skies, snow on mountaintops, trees showing either new green or spring blossoms....just gorgeous. Another time we did it in October, took the June Lake cutoff - again a spectacular time with leaf color to rival New England. Other 'must see' stops are the Manzanar National Historical Site and Bodie Ghost Town, though I'd pass on that one in mid-summer heat. Don't miss stopping at Eric Schat's Bakery in Bishop - the aroma when you walk in the door is wonderful; buy some bread or treats or sandwiches.

So.Cal
Level Contributor
355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

Sorry - missed that you said you wanted to go in June. It should be a great time to go!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

I wonder what it is that attracts your wife to Reno? Anyway, if you go there, I hope you drive up to Lake Tahoe and visit that beautiful area. The Sierra Nevada is spectacular.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

See this travelogue of the sights near the 395. travelswithbillandnancy.com/eastern_sierras.…

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,624 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

Some of this drive is part of the Las Vegas to Yosemite traveler article that is linked to the Top Questions in the upper right.

If it were my trip, I'd drive from San Diego to Death Valley, continue up Hwy 395 to the Tioga Pass entrance of Yosemite NP, maybe to Lake Tahoe & Reno, on to the Napa Valley, and then San Francisco - Monterey - Cambria - L.A.

The coastal drive from SF to L.A. is also in those Top Questions.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,258 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

Do not pass on Bodie because of high temps, like Kartgv says.The record high was 91. Seems pretty reasonable to me.They do however have some of the lowest temps in the country on occasion.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

We drive this about twice a year and have for years, one of my all time favorite drives, ever. We travel a great deal of the time but there is something about 395 that is very special.

The Reno/Carson City/Minden Gardnerville area is pretty awesome and lots to do and explore in that area. If you would like more suggestions about places to stop and explore or places we always stop to eat would love to share. We were that way in July and October of this year and will be going that way again in the spring.

My daughter lives on a Ranch overlooking the Sierra Nevada and down the mountain from Lake Tahoe....so much history in the 395 corridor, we spent a week last July driving it.

City of Greater...
Level Contributor
20 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: san diego to reno via hwy 395

Hi Fellow travellers, thank you for all the great advice on 395 im sure we will have a great drive through the sierras looking at a stop at mammouth mountain then on to carson /reno

Cheers Everybody Len

PS Wife loves gambling and has asked to see Reno Happy Wife =Happy Life