We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July in Southern California

north coast NSW
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July in Southern California

Thanks in advance for your advice:

Will be leaving LA on July 3 heading towards Tucson. Can anyone recommend a good place / town to spend 4th of July. Travelling with wife and boys (7, 10, 13) from Australia and we would like to get the US Independence Day experience.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

Huntington Beach is a good choice, a parade in the morning, and a large fireworks show in the evening next to the Pier.

www.surfcityusa.com

http://www.hb4thofjuly.org/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,171 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

Is your plan to drive to Tucson set in stone at this early date?

You'll be heading into the desert during the summer.

To my family Tucson is a 1 day drive of about 6hours.

There are other possibilities in that direction but not sure how many days you have for the rest of the trip? Are you skipping the Grand Canyon?

IF you are going to Tucson from California you'll not be IN California on July 4. You'll be in Arizona! The good thing is that you have lots of time to plan!!

IF you are wanting something to do in California before you drive east to Tucson then you might want to stop at the County Fair in San Diego which ends on July 4th and has all kinds of fun rides/food/music/ and fireworks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

If you are leaving LA on the third, I'd think you would be in Tucson on the fourth. It shouldn't take you 2 full days to make that drive. You might check with the folks on the Tucson forum to see if there are any big fireworks displays or Independence day happenings there. If you were in LA, I'd say the Hollywood Bowl would be the place to be or maybe at the beach.

The typical July 4th experience for most people is a bar-b-que and setting off fireworks.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 00:14
north coast NSW
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

Thanks.

We are hoping not to drive more than 3-4 hours per day, that's why we thought we'd stop in the middle somewhere. We are looking forward to the deserts - happy with the heat as we'll be escaping our winter:)

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

Palm Springs area I guess. Or Phoenix. You are driving thru a whole lot of nothing. Resist the temptation to stop for the night in Blythe, despite its "convenient" half-way location.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,171 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

As I said earlier, the "middle" somewhere will be at the Arizona/California border.

This might be 1 idea for you although slightly out of the way:

http://www.golakehavasu.com/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,344 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

4th of July as was said is BBQ, Fireworks, festivals and to a lesser extent parades. I would check out the Coachella Valley and the town of La Quinta as there will be a fireworks there and a parade in 100+ degree weather

ieweekly.com/2012/…

It is just over a couple of hours drive but you can take you time if you stop in palm springs and then keep going East.

8. Re: 4th of July in Southern California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:17