We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

Queensland
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

Our family will be arriving in Los Angeles in June (6 nights) we then want to have 5 nights in Las Vegas, and 3 in San Francisco before heading to New York for the last leg of our trip.

Can anyone let me know if we should be going to Las Vegas or San Francisco first straight after LA, need to know so I can book flights.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
New York
New York
United States
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

Huh. Family spending 5 nights in Vegas? Humm Vegas is a great place to gamble and eat at some great restaurants and see some shows but as much as the try to call it a family city, it is imho great with kids for 2-3 days. Unless you are using that time to go to the Grand Canyon for an overnight or see Lake Mead and the Dam, I think 5 nights is too much. Others may disagree . My DW and I don't mind spending 3-4 days there without kids.

Most would suggest you see LA and then drive the coastal drive from LA to SF with at least 2 overnights Cambria or Pismo beach and then Monterey. Drop off the car in SF, see SF and then fly to Vegas.

Also is the 6 nights just to see the city of LA or are you going to Anaheim, If so please split your time between LA and Anaheim

Please read the top question on the right. Plenty of info that can help you plan a great vacation.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 23:35
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

What does your "family" consist of? Las Vegas is somewhat limiting for the under 21 set.

Each to their own, but 5 nights in Vegas would qualify me for a padded cell in an asylum.

How do you plan to travel between LA and the other two destinations? The coast between LA and SF is a beautiful drive. And if I had my choice I would opt to drive it south to north, although it's a minor difference.

If you're flying between destinations I don't think it makes much difference. However, if you haven't booked anything yet I would research whether an open jaw would work. You could start in LA, drive to SF, fly to Vegas and the on to NYC from Vegas.

------

geez, belo, you must have taken a touch typing class over the holidays. The tiara is feeling very at home.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 23:38
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

OK, let me presume a few things, you will fly from Sydney, Australia to LAX, and than from JFK (New York) back to Australia. Also, you are not interested in renting a car (a common thing for Australians). All four locations you mentioned are Public Transit Friendly.

So which location is the second city, Las Vegas or San Francisco isn't important, so I would shop for the best airline price, along with the cost of accommodations for those days.

When arriving at LAX, if you are interested in Disneyland and all the related stuff that goes along with it, I would get a Hotel in the area, and then do day trips using transit and tour companies to go to other locations. Some people like to split, but that means packing up, having to pay for getting to the second Hotel with luggage (which for most folks does not mean public transit), and the time lost for that day.

OK, airports to look into when researching air fares.

Los Angeles - LAX, Long Beach (LGB), John Wayne (Orange County/Santa Ana/SNA), Bob Hope (Burbank/BUR) and Ontario (ONT).

If staying in the area near Disneyland, such as the Anaheim/Garden Grove, Long Beach and John Wayne are the best choices. Ontario is only good if you are going to be in the Inland Empire part of the Greater Los Angeles Area.

San Francisco - SFO and Oakland (OAK)

Las Vegas - LAS (only option)

New York - JFK, Newark (EWR) and Laguardia (LGA)

Here are the main Domestic Discounted Airlines. Note, you will need to book and check fares at the individual web sites.

jetBlue - IMHO, the best flight experence, reserved seats, personal TV's at every seat. They offer one free checked bag.

Southwest - America's largest airline, known for its 2 free bag policy. Alas, they do not reserve seats, but just allow folks to enter the plane and grab what is available. So for at least the long flight, I strongly suggest you pay the small extra fee for an early number, to allow your group to sit together, and to find storage bins for your carry-on bags.

Virgin America - No free bags, but good service.

Frontier - The bag policy is based on the fare paid, the super discounted ones have no free bags.

Spirit - This airline might show the lowest fares, but they also have many fees, including some carry-on bags and how you book your ticket and check-in.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
New York
New York
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Burbank
Burbank
California
Ontario
Ontario
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Oakland
Oakland
California
Newark
Newark
California
Queensland
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

Hi,

Our family is my husband & I with our 16 year old son, we definately don't want to drive over there too scarey for us (from a small town) so we have planned to just fly everywhere.

The 6 nights in LA was just to see a baseball game and the area sites, I will look further into that.

With Vegas I thought of the Grand Canyon, wax museum, there is also a mob museum, walk the strip and go to the shopping outlets. I definately want to get some shopping in before NY as I think it will be expensive there. Maybe 5 days is too much. ?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

OK, there are six Major League Baseball Teams during your visit.

Los Angeles - The LA Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (near Disneyland)

San Francisco - The Giants and the Oakland A's

New York - The Yankees and the Mets

Las Vegas has a minor league team, the 51's, a AAA affiliate of the New York Mets.

Shopping, first thing to think about, flying and bag allowances, as mentioned above, you will pay extra for the bags depending on the airline(s) chosen, so maybe wait until later the trip.

In the Disneyland/Anaheim area, easy Public/mass transit to two large outlet malls, The Outlets of Orange and the Citadel Outlets.

Las Vegas has two large malls, easy access using public transit.

San Francisco - no easy access to Outlet Malls.

So maybe do the LA area to San Francisco, then Las Vegas and do your shopping, and finally New York.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
New York
New York
United States
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,317 posts
6,137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

I would check what the airplane rates are from Las Vegas to new York (and also do the same from San Francisco to Las vegas).

I would probably recommend without doing the checking to

1) Fly Southwest Airlines from LA to San Francisco - depending on where you are staying in LA, you might want to check both flying out of Burbank Airport (Smaler airport closer to downtown LA/Hollywood) or LAX (closer to the beach area - but huge airport).

2) Then fly from San Francisco to Las Vegas...

Then check for a good rate from Las Vegas to New York City....(there are often specials to get people to/from Las Vegas so that is why I am suggesting that. You'll need to do some looking to confirm. I would also strongly recommend posting your question on the Las Vegas Forum - more people from the East coast post there and they can recommend what flights might work best for you.

In terms of Las Vegas, there are several family friendly shows. If you plan to go to a few shows, 5 days is probaly ok since you will probably do day trips to grand canyon, the dam, Red Rock Canyon....and see the Mob Museum, and so forth. There are several great family shows - post again on the las vegas trip advisor forum for best recommendations. (note: We will be there next week for CES - consumer electronic show).

If you do not plan to go a show, I would probably just do 3 to 4 days in Las Vegas.

have fun.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

I dont know what your 16 year old will do in Vegas for that long. If you want to see a baseball game you can walk to the game if you stay in SF and to top it all the San Francisco Giants are the current US MLB or as they call it here - World Series -- Champions. Why not see them when you are visiting San Francisco in one of the best ballparks in the US ?

If you plan to fly, that is ok too.

I've spent many Septembers in NYC staying in very expensive hotels - why expensive because that is when the meetings and conventions start in NYC and prices sky rocket. Also San Francisco has the same issue and this year with America's cup starting on the 4th, prices are going to go up as well.

So please plan soon and reserve your hotel rooms or you wil pay dearly.

Vegas and Woodbury Commons in NY would be two places for outlet malls and you could shop in NYC before you leave instead of hauling stuff across the country,

--

Darkbeer -- When did Southwest become the Largest Airline in the US. Are you really a travel industry so called expert or is this wikipedia stuff that you make along as you go

Mentioned in this post
Queensland
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

Belomiser - thank you for the tips above, a baseball game in San Francisco is a definite so that now determines that we will go to San Francisco for the second leg of our trip and we will catch the home game - my son & hubby will be so happy about this, third leg will be Las Vegas.

The shopping outlet in NY is also on the top of my list as well – a big thank you!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

I would take a night from somewhere, perhaps Las Vegas, and add it to San Francisco, especially if you plan to see a baseball game here. San Francisco is worth much more time...a beautiful city and so much to see and do..

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Queensland
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with which city to go second Las Vegas or San Fran.

I think I have been convinced I will take a night off Las Vegas and add it to San Francisco and also split the Los Angeles stay between LA and Anaheim that way the boys may get to watch the Angels play as well. Just hope I can get tickets to the games.

Everyone has been so helpful, thank you so much as it has definitely helped me in sorting this trip out.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA