We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo trip to California

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Solo trip to California

hey everyone thinking of coming to California this year but i'm at the stage of pondering where. At first I thought San Diego because people say its a safe place for solo travellers and stuff but after doing some research I've found San Diego is not the most reliiable of places when it comes to public transport which doesn't really help me cos I don't drive.

Can anyone advise me on where I can go? I've already done San Francisco and I was thiniking of doing San Diego and LA but now i'm not 100% sure.....

Advice/tips helpful. Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,530 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo trip to California

San Diego is a fantastic place to spend time and you can see a lot using Public transport including the trolley you can take the train to Los Angeles and while LA is huge there are parts which are easy to get to by public transport.

Check the San Diego forum and read through a few pages and you will see this question often -- where to stay without a car and also a trip reports on going around SF without a car

If you want to go to LA then that info is there in the Los Angeles forum

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo trip to California

San Diego is a lot easier to see with public transport than LA is - San Diego is a lot more compact while LA is spread out over a huge area.

Both cities also offer a Hop-On/Hop-Off tour:

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-HOHO.asp

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo trip to California

While you can do everything using public transit, the 4 main locations in the state for good public transit and tourism sites are San Francisco, Downtown LA/Hollywood, Anaheim and San Diego. All have their pluses and minuses..... Here is a link to a California Top Question dealing with the issue.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187744/Califo…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo trip to California

there was a recent trip review with great details on travelling on public transport. do a search.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo trip to California

lttt might be referring to this recent post, entitled "Trip Report--Ten Days in San Diego without a Car." You might find it reassuring!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k612540…

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo trip to California

One less-suggested option would be to come back to the Bay Area and do everything BUT San Francisco. There's a lot to see here besides SF - it's a 7.5 million urban area and San Francisco has 800,000 people. Beautiful scenery and interesting cities everywhere, and I've done a fair amount of it on public transit.

I may get flack for suggesting that in the face of San Diego and LA, but whatevs.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 03:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo trip to California

Thanks hun but i've done the Bay area before when I came to SF the first two times.

Ok any other suggestions?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo trip to California

Haha fair enough. Good luck with your trip!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo trip to California

Hi

When you post your topic, there is a box with these questions for you:

To get the best advice, include:

-Your budget

-Your travel companions

-Your part of town

-Your likes, dislikes

==================

So far we know that you don't drive and that you have seen every one of the Bay Area attractions that interest you. What do you like to do or see?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo trip to California

Guess you have already studied the transit system. I can imagine the bus system of San Diego could be daunting. For San Diego, slow down, base yourself in La Jolla, go to the beach a lot, and take side trips to Old Town, Little Italy, Coronado, Gaslamp etc.

Except for San Francisco, if you don't drive, you might put yourself in the middle of a tourist spot that is easily explored on foot, where a lot of sights or relaxing are close together.

Visit a smaller area like Yosemite Valley, Santa Barbara, Monterey, La Jolla, Coronado, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Laguna Beach. How long will you be here?