We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Through California.

Buffalo, New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip Through California.

I am planning a 15 day road trip. I am flying into Vegas because the price is so much cheaper for airfare and rental cars. My two must do's on this drive are the Redwood National Forest and the Grand Canyon. This is what I've come up with so far. If anyone can give feedback about the plausablity of this or give hints as to what I could add/delete to make this more enjoyable it would be appreciated. If it matters, I plan on having a tent and camping at most places.

Day 1 - Vegas

Day 2 - Vegas to Sequoia National Park

Day 3 - Sequoia National Park

Day 4 - Sequoia to Yosemite

Day 5 Yosemite

Day 6 and 7 Yosemite to Redwood(since its a long drive I'm taking some time to sight see along the coast

Day 8 Redwood

Day 9 Redwood to Lassen Volcanic National Park

Day 10 - Lassen Volcanic Park

Day 11 - Lassen Volcanic to Las Vegas

Day 12 - Vegas to Grand Canyon

Day 13 - Grand Canyon

Day 14 - Grand Canyon to Vegas

Day 15 Vegs to Home.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,773 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Through California.

When?

Campsite reservations or a detailed plan of finding a First Come First Served campsite will be essential for Yosemite.

Day 11 looks like it's too much driving. Here is some info about some of the eastern Sierra Hwy 395 ... generally preferred over Hwy 95 tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Through California.

That was my thought too. Too much of a drive on day 11. Definitely 395. It is a spectacular drive.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Through California.

If it were me, I'd drop Lassen and add those days to Sequoia and Yosemite. They are spectacular and one night in each isn't very much. It would also cut down on your driving time. I've done a lot of driving long distances and it can be very tiring.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Through California.

Day 11 - you're looking at a minimum of about 9 hours driving time, myabe more, plus any stops. Long day. Maybe add an overnight in Bishop?

Tent camping - so this must be summertime? You must make campground reservations well in advance for Grand Canyon. Look at Mather Campground.

Depending upon where you intend to camp in Redwood NP, you should make campground reservations ahead of time there too, if this is during summer.

Buffalo, New York
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Through California.

Thank You to all who took the time to respond to my questions, I can't tell you enough how much the input helps. I should have mentioned that I will be traveling May 7th through the 21st and from what I've gathered so far most of the camping sites that are even open are first come, first serve so I'm hoping to not run into a problem with accomodations. Looking at Azalea when I get to Sequoia/Kings Canyon. I've also taken your advice and dropped Lassen from the itinerary so I can add a day at both Sequoia and Yosemite. Also thinking for starting with the longest drive first so Redwood my wind up being the starting point for this trip. Any other suggestions are most gratefully accepted. Best Wishes....

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Through California.

Redwood can't be your starting point if you're flying into Vegas.

Also... If you are flying into Vegas, there is no direct route to Sequoia from Vegas. You would have to travel via Highway 58 through Tehachapi and Bakersfield or Highway 178 through Lake isabella and into Bakersfield and up the 99 freeway to access Sequoia.

The same would be true for Yosemite in early May. The road into Yosemite (Tioga Pass) won't be open that early in the year.

Buffalo, New York
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip Through California.

Agh. New things to consider. I never did take into account seasonal roads! There is no way I can get Redwood and Grand Canyon in on the same trip without 2 long drives. To try to break up the drive from Vegas to Redwood, can anyone suggest a good stopping point about 1/2 way there? On the way back I will stop at Yosemite first, then onto Sequoia & Kings Canyon. From there to Vegas and then to the Canyon and back to Vegas. I know the trip from Redwood to Yosemite is 10 1/2 hours but my friend Kelly will be helping with the driving. I can't think of another alternative if I want to stay on schedule and have 2 full days in Redwood, Yosemite, and Sequoia. As it stands now I will only have 1 and half days in Grand Canyon. Any suggestions greatfully accepted.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,773 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip Through California.

Skip Redwood NP. Seriously. It's just so far. Could you be satisfied with a visit to a small grove of coastal redwoods? We can get you to one just 4 hours from Yosemite and near the lovely Monterey Peninsula.

Yosemite campsites for May are reserved. Most of the First Come First Served campgrounds open in July.

Buffalo, New York
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip Through California.

I have thought of possibly going to a smaller group of redwoods but I hear the drive along the coast line is as impressive as the park itself, I was hoping that by sharing the drivie and just enjoying the scenery it would make for an enjoyable trip. If I have done the math right we will have 8 days of non driving time and three day of drivig 6 hours or less. Not bad for 15 days. I still have to run all this by friend Kelly to see if she is up for the schedule or not. If she isn't I would possibly consider a lesser trip to Montery. I looked at your link and it does look wonderful. I don't know when I'll be back in California again because next year I've been thinking of Peru to to the Inca trail. Would hate to miss the coastal highway and the redwoods.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,226 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip Through California.

I like Lassen! All the sulphur and bubbling mud. And stop (maybe stay) at Burney Falls. You'll be glad you did.

It all sounds lovely - but that it SO much driving. Your back and your knees and your legs will be screaming.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 03:14