We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

Hi,

I've currently booked a holiday to Vegas, but have just spoken to my holiday company and am able to amend it, as thinking of going to Los Angeles, Southern California.

It's my Fiance's 21st, so I'm trying to make it extra special. We're going to do the whole partying / excursions in Vegas, so wanted LA to be really chilled out ... relaxing on the beach, few nice restaurants in between.

We plan to travel back to Vegas as it's only £50 to amend the flight detail ... if we fly from LAX, it would be £370!

So, have a few questions:

a) What is the best way to travel from Vegas to LA and back ( cheapest & quickest) ... I'm able to drive, but haven't opted for the driving package yet.

b) Where are the best places to stay in LA ( trying to keep this on the cheaper side, although still would like a clean, nice room with moderate amenities )

Thanks in advance :)

Angie

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

a) Fly.

b) Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Seaview Hotel would be my suggestion for a hotel with a nice, clean room and on the cheaper side. Not to mention on the beach side!

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

Thanks, think flying will definitely be the best option, found quite a cheap return flight with jet airlines.

Really like the look of Santa Monica, thanks again for a great suggestion! Had a look at the Seaview Hotel, but not too keen on it as the bathroom doesn't look too great. Do you know of any other hotels that would seem to fit the bill?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

Nope. At that price and with that location the bathroom doesn't bother me.

Others will be along with suggestions. Of that you can be sure. You may get the best feedback if you post a new thread in the Santa Monica forum asking just about the hotel. If you give it a subject like 'Clean budget hotel wanted close to the beach' you'll be inundated. And not just by me repeating the Seaview! ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

The price is definitely good, I'm just too picky :(

Sure, I'll do that :)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

The cheapest way to get to LA from Vegas is Mega Bus planned far enough in advance that the cost is $1.

Here is the link:

http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx

since you will be departing from Vegas you have to select Nevada from the drop down to get Las Vegas. Then the 2nd drop down will list LA or Riverside and destinations from Vegas. I looked at departure costs for April and it was $1 to go from Vegas to LA mid week and a few dollars to return mid week. You can plug in your own dates. The bus ride is 5+ hours but the money you save on flights you can get a better hotel with a nicer bathroom.. Since they have departures all day you can pick the most convenient time for your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

That's a great price!

I guess it comes down to 2.5 hours (all in) and $100 for a flight or (call it) 6 hours on the bus for a buck. I can see the pros and cons of each and would be interested to hear what the OP goes with.

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

Thanks for the suggestion of the bus and I would have definitely gone for it, but we're only in California for 6 days, so trying to make the most it.

Looking into renting a car ... figured instead of lugging everything through security, it would make more sense to get a car and turn the music up for the drive :)

Was looking into the weather forecasts, apparently it isn't so hot by the beach in August?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,028 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

Santa Monica hotels are expensive - take a look at already mentioned Sea View Hotel, the Sea Shore Motel, Bayside Hotel, Embassy Apartment Hotel...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

If you have a car you can stay anywhere and drive to Santa Monica.

Have a look at these hotels, right in Hollywood so walking distance to heaps of sights.

http://magiccastlehotel.com/

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to travel from Vegas to LA ( and back), & stay

Another airline to consider is Southwest Airlines. They have many flights from LV, to Los Angeles area airports (Burbank, LAX, etc). You have to book their flights from their own website, not Expedia etc.

A great thing about this airline is that they allow one free suitcase, and don't charge "change fees" if you need to change your flight.

It is a good idea to fly between LV and Los Angeles; it is a dull drive. Rental cars may be expensive due to your young age.