We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning a 2 week flydrive trip to CA (and surrounding states) in September/October. Flights are booked, but before we go booking our accommodation, I was hoping to share our itinerary with you, to see if anyone has any tips or recommendations.

The current plan is to spend:

2 nights in San Francisco (2 half days, one 1 full day)

2 nights at Yosemite National Park (1 half day, 1 full day)

4 nights in LA (staying with friends)

2 nights at the Grand Canyon (South rim I think?)

3 nights in Las Vegas (Flying home from there)

Top of our to do list is: see Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz, ride the trams, see some waterfalls and big rocks/bears, do the Hollywood 'thing', maybe go to an LA theme park, spend some time with our pals in LA, and obviously see some of the Canyon and Las Vegas madness. With only 2 weeks I know we're not going to be able to do everything we want to, but it might give us enough of a taster of particular cities that we might like to revisit in the future.

Do you think the times spent in each area would be OK?

Initially we had just planned to do LA > Grand Canyon and Vegas, > Back to LA.... but on recommendation we've included SanFran, and subsequently Yosemite, so we're trying to fit a lot more in to the same time frame! Ideally I'd like to have a 3rd night in San Fran, but it would mean losing a night elsewhere, and I'm not sure we can do that - as I'd rather not spend a single night in Yosemite/Grand Canyon, and losing a day in LA defeats the original aim of going to see friends, ha!

Any thoughts?

Thanks xx

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,572 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

It is what it is. You have your reasons to spend time in the way you have outlined so I am not sure what feedback you are looking for ? Not sure what you mean by " as I'd rather not spend a single night in Yosemite/Grand Canyon"

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,682 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

belomiser--I think the poster means she doesn't want to ONLY spend one night in Yosemite and in Grand Canyon so in planning wants at least 2 nights in those places.

incubizz,-- I am not sure you realize that it is about a 9hr. drive from LA to the Grand Canyon south rim?

I think the trip is a bit rushed in some parts. I'd expect to give a city like San Francisco at least 3 full days. Perhaps leave out one of the parks??

The Grand Canyon is the one that is the farthest away sooo maybe save that for another trip.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,572 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

Thanks Riff M

I think we all sound like a broken record on this forum. Everyone wants to do a lot on the trip to CA and make it their trip of a lifetime. Nothing wrong with that -- I guess but it is not my cuppa tea.

Most are coming from time zones which are 8 to 16 hours and after a long flight to try and get in a car the same day or a day later and drive and drive just sounds like punishment to me. Do we do the same when we go to England or Australia or Asia. Well we try to not make each trip the vacation of a lifetime, spend at least 2-3 full days in the first port of entry to get over jetlag and then spend a few days traveling around and we try not to live off a packed bag. We also try to spend 2-3 days at the end relaxing or we will need a vacation after a vacation.

But everyone has a different way of traveling and I respect that.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 00:18
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

I think it's do-able, and you'd definitely see more than your original idea.

Day 1: arrive SFO jet lagged. Transfer to SF. Half day (are you sure you won't just sleep?)

Day 2: one full day to get a taste of the City.

Day 3: morning in SF, then pick up rental car and drive 4 hrs to Yosemite Valley (lodging reservations!!!)

Day 4: one full day in Yosemite: Valley + Glacier Point

Day 5: morning at Mariposa Grove, afternoon drive to L.A.

Day 6: L.A.

Day 7: L.A.

Day 8: L.A.

Day 9: Nine hour drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Day 10: GCNP

Day 11: maybe some morning at GCNP, 5 hr drive to Las Vegas (see Hoover Dam?)

Day 12: Las Vegas

Day 13: Day trip to Valley of Fire or Death Valley? Las Vegas

Day 14: fly home

----------

Here is an alternate route that might suit you: SFO - SF - Yosemite - Lone Pine (eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361 ) - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - L.A. - LAX

Southampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

Thanks for your posts. I appreciate it is a bit rushed in places, but i guess this IS a trip of a lifetime for me, and being on such a strict budget (nurse's wage!) i don't envisage being able to go transatlantic very often, so want to try and pack as much in as poss.

Im not expecting to be too jetlagged going westbound - I've heard its worse on the way back? When i travel i tend to have the attitude of 'sleep when you're dead' anyway ;-)

I'd expected the LA to GC journey to be 7.5hrs but have allowed a full day just for that so if its 9, then so be it.

I'll take a look at that link to see if our plan can be tweaked. Thanks again.

6. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 02:16
7. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 02:16
8. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 02:09
Southampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

(apologies for duplicate posting!)

been having a think...

If we drove from LA to vegas, rather than to the grand canyon, and then did a day trip to the canyon (meaning the 2 night stay at the pricey canyon lodges would be avoided, as well as such a long drive from LA) that would keep me happy in terms of ticking the Grand Canyon box, but could also free up that extra night in San Francisco.

So the intinerary would be:

Day 1 - Arrive in SF early afternoon, explore.

Day 2 - SF

Day 3 - SF

Day 4 - SF, drive to Yosemite.

Day 5 - Yosemite

Day 6 - Leave Yosemite, Drive to LA

Day 7 - LA

Day 8 - LA

Day 9 - LA

Day 10 - drive to Vegas.

Day 11 - day trip to Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Back at Vegas hotel that night.

Day 12 - Las Vegas

Day 13 - Las Vegas

Day 14 - Las Vegas am, fly home pm.

The Grand Canyon bit would obv be more rushed than initially planned, but it beats missing it altogether right?

Edited: 01 March 2013, 02:15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flydrive Itinerary - Tips much appreciated!

I would consider taking a night from Las Vegas and spend the night near the Rim of the Grand Canyon. That still gives you really plenty of time for Las Vegas.

You could also take a detour and stop at Hoover Dam on your way to Las Vegas.