We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 66/San Fran/new york

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Route 66/San Fran/new york

Hey,

Planning a 4week trip to America in dec/Jan. Not limited on dates etc but looking to stay 1 week in San Fran, drive route 66 for 2 weeks and then a few days in new York before flying home to Australia.there will be 2 or 3 of us. Looking for very rough prices, whether ppl think that is to much to try and fit in etc

Thx

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

Hi

For R66 maybe try the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

www.historic66.com It runs between Los Angeles and Chicago and we usually already recommend to take 2 weeks for it. Time of year also is a factor. Bad weather can occur, even snow and blizzards. With a week in SF, 2-3 days from the drive along the coast to Los Angeles and spend time in LA 4 weeks will be short not to mention the time for Chicago, the commute to NY and the time for NY. There alsways will be a drop off fee for the rentalcar. Also don't miss places like Grand Canyon NP and ABQ/Santa Fe on your route and maybe you want to see Las Vegas also.

Tet

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

Hello, denise s, and welcome to the California forum.

As Tet already mentioned, the Road Trips forum would yield more and better responses to your Route 66 questions.

Speaking as one who just got back from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Southern California via Interstate 40 (no time to sightsee this time) last month, believe me, blizzards can and do occur in the Winter months of December, January and February. I was in heavy snowfall from west of Gallup, New Mexico to Holbrook, Arizona (where I spent the night). That reduced the speeds to ~25 to 45 miles an hour and made an otherwise hour and a half trip between these two places into a three hour one. So be aware.

Sightseeing at the Grand Canyon, Arizona and Santa Fe, New Mexico is very worthwhile. I've not really had the chance to tour Santa Fe like I would like to but I can tell you from experience that the traffic from Albuquerque northward to Santa Fe (and back again) is heavier than it is north of Santa Fe by a long shot. Santa Fe is a beautiful, Spanish influenced laid back place that just also happens to be not only a center for the arts, but the capital of New Mexico as well. It's hard not to want to stop by there. . . the red pueblo style architecture and style draws one in.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,357 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

Underdog -- OMG. Glad to see you back on the CA forums. We missed you. I was wondering where you were. Hope you are doing well and our best to your sweet Polly Purebred

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

Belomiser, thanks so very much for the welcome. The long process of losing one's parents has ended in their burial. You can understand why I've been away, I think. Caring for one's parents is more important. We are as well as can be, I suppose. Glad to be back! It will all take some time still to "be normal." Thanks again for the kindness extended to the both of us.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

May their memory be a blessing..... condolences to you and SPP.

Welcome back,

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,357 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

Oh my condolences as well I feel for you and your family and I know the feeling. So sorry

But it is great to see you We were worried You have a friend in US

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

Thanks, Dr. Z and belomiser for your condolences. I understand that the TA community here was worried. Worry no more. There's no need to fear. . . Underdog is here! (with his Sweet Polly Purebred at his side)

I am so very thankful for my many friends here at TripAdvisor. Now onward and upward. . . to once again providing superlative answers to our great readership in the TripAdvisor community!

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

Underdog, my condolences on the loss of your parents.

As an occasional poster but very frequent visitor to the forums, I'm glad to see you back and look forward to your future contributions.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

My condolences also Underdog and glad to see you're back.

Heavy snow is expected for this weekend in the Flagstaff/GC area and same happened last year in march when roads were closed. I40 in Tx panhandle was closed due to blizzards a couple of weeks ago.

10. Re: Route 66/San Fran/new york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:17