We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Hastings, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Any advice for us?

Two kids 12 and 7 well used to car travel. Mid July to beginning August

This is our plan

Day 1 San Fran arrive 1600 ish for 2 days

Day 3 Drive to Yosemite for 3 days

Day 6 Drive via 395 to Lone Pine one night stop over

Day 7 to LV for 2 days via Death Valley not worried about stopping just viewing

Day 9 Drive to LA four days

Day 13 drive back to San Fran with a stop over night close enough to catch flight back at San Fran at 700 am

Any advice?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Hi

You trip is feasible. Start making reservations asa possible. Here's a link for the drive between Yosemite and Las Vegas:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

The thing I would change is day 13 and 14. I'd skip one day in LA, drive day 12 to Cambria from LA, day 13 along the coast to San Francisco deliver the car and stay at an SFO a/p hotel for the very early flight.

You don't need a car in SF so you can pick it up before the drive to Yosemite. That said, it's a fun thing to drive those very steep hills in SF but parking is expensive and public transport is very good.

Tet

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Hello Heidi M, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the California forum.

I generally agree with Tet here. Looks like you have thought things out and read the forums here before making making your plans.

If it were me, I'd add a day to San Francisco, and shorten Las Vegas by a day. Once you see Las Vegas, the place becomes repetitive. San Francisco is easily worth a week for the out of country tourist like yourself, but I understand you have time limitations where you can't stay a week there.

Conversely, if you are going to emphasize going to LA area attractions like (especially) Disneyland/California Adventure, I might want to add a day here and subract a day from Las Vegas. Your choice.

Additionally, Tet's suggestion of adding Cambria and the Central Coast is extremely worthwhile. Beautiful natural scenic drive on California State Route 1 aka Pacific Coast Highway, and San Simeon next to Cambria is home to Hearst San Simeon State Historic Park, which is a well loved and visited palacial estate - of William Randolph Hearst, a newspaper publisher once prominent here. Check it out! http://www.hearstcastle.org/

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,305 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Hi Heidi

As soon as you set your itinerary, begin hunting for lodging reservations. Go to the city/destination page and read the lodging info in their Top Questions. Read relevant hotel reviews. Then post a question on that page and include info about travel direction (from X and going to Y next), travel group, travel style, & budget.

I like the changes suggested by Tet & Underdog

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Don't think you'll have 2 days for Las Vegas. With the stops on your way it easily can take most of the day just to drive between Lone Pine and Las Vegas (and you should stop at places like Mesquite Dunes, visitor center, Badwater, Zabriskie Point etc imo) and day 9 is a 5 hours drive to LA already. Staying in Lone Pine you' at the foot of the highest mountain Mt Whitney in the 48 states and in Badwater you'll hit lowest point. Very special!

Don't know the exact dates you are coming but Las Vegas is more expensive in the weekend and avoid driving between Las Vegas and LA on a sunday afternoon.

Hastings, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Has anyone any feedback on the Fitzgerald Hotel Post street San Fran please?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,305 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Hi again Heidi

The best place to talk with folks who know & love a particular destination is on their forum page. This page is about planning a multi-destination itinerary.

San Francisco: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60713-i30

Remember to tell them about you, your trip, your group, and your budget.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

Maybe read reviews in here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d80768-R…

8. Re: San Fran - Yosemite- Lone Pine- LV - Los Angeles- San Fran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:18