We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

Hi ya,

My partner and I are travelling to the USA this Sept/Oct for 2 weeks. We have already booked 2 nights in LA, then we have four days left before our next destination which is the Grand Canyon where we then travel to Las Vegas, Yosemoite and then onto San Fran. We are thinking about stopping at Scottsdale, Flagstaff and Monument Valley can anyone suggest how many nights we should book at each place or shoud we stay somewhere else? (we have 4 days) and what are the best places to visit. This is our first time and we would klioje to get it right.

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

You are posting on the California State forum. For questions about the state of California. Since you trip involves several states and cities, you should post on the road trip forum.

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

OK, thanks for that, I did quickly read the other tripadvisor replies and think someone did recommend that, but I'm not with it at the moment, 2 grand daughters born within 4 weeks of each other (one yesterday) plus one of 4 daughters moving house (me helping) plus work! all go. So grateful for your advise. I'll look into it shortly, hopefully:)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

Congrats! :-))

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

Hello, Ginny-Gypsy, and welcome to the California forum.

Just to clarify, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Yosemite National Park are within California. The other locations you mention are in other states (Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona; Las Vegas, Nevada; Scottsdale, Arizona; Flagstaff, Arizona; and Monument Valley, Utah). In case you don't get more responses from forum members here, you might wish to post your question to the Road Trips forum, which is here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

You are coming from a great distance to vacation here (the United Kingdom). If it were me coming from that distance, and likely to not come this way again, I'd strongly urge you to delete Scottsdale and Flagstaff. Here's what I'd do instead for your four days:

Day One: see Monument Valley ( tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g57072-Monument_Vall… ). I recommend stopping into Goulding's Lodge/Trading Post to see the museum there if nothing else at Goulding's. Historical and very worth your while to learn about the native Navajo people and what the Goulding's (Harry and "Mike" his wife) did to help them by their contacting folks in the motion picture industry in Hollywood to use their very scenic location for initially at least, western films. Yup, John Wayne and many more were here! You can even eat at the same restaurant where the Duke once ate. I said it was historical. . . (wink)

Day Two: go to Lake Powell ( tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g60911-Lake_Powell_U… ) Lodge at Page, Arizona very nearby. Take a Colorado River tour out of Page (my Sweet Polly Purebred and I have taken such a tour with Colorado River Discovery tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60834-d67… ). It costs extra money, but would be an unforgettable adventure for you. Book your Glen Canyon Dam tour ( tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS ) the morning before you take off for the Colorado River tour. They can book out early!

Day Three: tour Glen Canyon Dam (guided tour- $5 per adult) first thing in the morning near Page on your way out to Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah ( tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g143015-Bryce_Canyon… ). Lodge nearby at Ruby's Inn or at other locations within ~40 miles of the place.

Day Four: see Zion National Park ( tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g143057-Zion_Nationa… ). Zion Lodge is excellent inside the park, but if that's not what you can do or want, Springdale, Hurricane or St. George, Utah (all on the road out of Zion into Las Vegas) have lodgings available and restaurants.

Hope this is what you would appreciate and are possibly looking for. Let us know if you have further questions - members here are willing to help make your time here one you will remember.

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

Thats fantastic, thank you so much. I've discussed your ideas with my partner and he's very entusiastic about the places you suggested. Once again, many thanks

6. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco via Scottsdale e

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:16