We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in California

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in California

I am going to California for a surf trip in April, but am having trouble narrowing down the best spot. I am an intermediate surfer, and hope to stay close to the surf. Where is the best surf in California in April? I will rent a car, so will be able to drive around a bit, but prefer not to use it if I can. From my research it looks like Huntington beach is good but very busy. Zuma Beach looks good, but with limited places to stay in my price range. It sounnds like Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are hit and miss at this time of year. Is this correct? Am I missing a better surf spot? I am only flying in for three days so don't to travel far from the airport. Thanks for your help!

Aloha Brothers Surf Lessons
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Santa Barbara Adventure Company
Bike Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Wine Tours & Tastings
Pacific Surf School
Sandbar Surf School
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in California

I take it you want to surf in Southern California? Are you flying into LAX? California is huge, so the possibilities are endless!

In the LA area, many people like to go surfing in nearby Orange County. Huntington Beach is popular, definitely, but don't overlook a place like San Clemente further to the south. If you head down to San Diego, you might want to try the beaches in Encinitas.

I recommend posting on specific forums (e.g., Los Angeles and San Diego) for more refined recommendations. Although I grew up in San Diego, I don't surf, so I don't know the exact best spots for intermediate surfers at that time of year. The people on these forums will be able to give you tips for minimizing driving, too, but I doubt you will be able to get out of driving to the beach since you'll have a surfboard with you.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,490 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in California

I don't know for sure, but Santa Cruz, in Northern California, might work. There are lots of accommodations across from the beach. Wetsuits are required, though, and weather will be cooler than in Southern California.

These sites have more info:

3. Re: Surfing in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 05:15