We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

Hi

We are planning a trip to the USA arriving 30 October into Los Angeles and leaving 8 December, flights are booked. The itinerary we have worked up so far is as follow:

30 Oct Arrive 9.40 Overnight LA

31 Oct Overnight LA

1st Nov Fly to Boston

2nd Nov Boston

3rd Nov Boston

4th Nov train to New York

5th Nov New York

6th Nov New York

7th Nov New York

8th Nov New York

9th Nov Train to Buffalo

10th -15th Car tour finish Philadelphia

16th Philadelphia

17th Nov train to Washington

18th - 20th Washington

21st Train to Miami

22nd Miami

23 Fly to New Orleans

24 New Orleans

25 LA

26 - 29 Drive to San Francisco and stay

30 Fly to Las Vegas

1st Dec Las Vegas

2 Drive Grand Canyon

3 - 7 Drive LA via San Diego

8 Dec Fly home

Thanks

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

While in LA make sure to visit Hollywood , six flags, universal studios& Disneyland

In SD I recommend visiting if you like the beach go to Coronado, or sunset cliffs park or la jolla beaches, if you like hiking visit Cowles mountain in santee , or the devils punch bowl I believe it's between Ramona & Julian all this is located in San Diego

Edited: 25 March 2013, 08:36
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,260 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

Continue planning on your Road Trips thread for the portions of the trip that are not in California. If anyone wants to join the conversation, here it is: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6298817

Here is the part that is relevant to this forum:

-----------

November 25 LA

26 - 29 Drive to San Francisco and stay

30 Fly to Las Vegas

1st Dec Las Vegas

2 Drive Grand Canyon

3 - 7 Drive LA via San Diego

8 Dec Fly home

----------------

Is Nov 25 "LA" Louisiana (state abbreviation) or Los Angeles? It would seem to make the most sense to fly to San Francisco from New Orleans.

Nov 28 is Thanksgiving. Plan carefully about what you'll be doing in SF. This might be a good day to rent a car and take a scenic drive. Ask on the SF forum.

Nov 30 is still part of the holiday weekend. I'd guess that the prices in Las Vegas will be higher than usual.

>>3 - 7 Drive LA via San Diego<< Does this mean you'll be spending some of the days in San Diego and some in Los Angeles? Lots to do in both cities.

--------------

It looks like you dropped the ideas of visiting Monterey and Yosemite (from your other thread.) Do you want help creating an itinerary that includes those places and still hits the main cities? I think you know that you can't see it all. I think the best way to add time to California is to drop New Orleans from your itinerary and to fly to CA from Miami.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

California is a huge state with many good places to visit, and many specific City forums to post in. I would suggest you post in the specific City forums you are thinking of visiting with specific questions about those areas, as they can better help you with your planning wise with an itinerary, and where to stay. They also may be able to tell you other important info that may alter your trip somewhat such as the weather, or events ect.

That would also be a good idea in the other City forums you are thinking of visiting outside of California.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 17:17
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

Buffalo is rather out of the way for one night's stay. (Assuming Niagara Falls is the destination?)

It would make more geographical sense to go Boston -> Buffalo -> NY, that's about 100 miles less.

But yes, post on specific city forums and the Road Trip forum. Train Travel forum as well.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

I have posted my overall comments in the other thread. Specific to the West Coast portion of your trip, my recommendation is that you try to schedule Thanksgiving at a national park or in Las Vegas. Everybody will be spending the holiday with family or friends, so almost all shops, restaurants, and attractions will be closed.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

Thanks. These are all most useful comments. Yes LA is Los Angeles. Had the same thought about dropping New Orleans but keen to see and if fly to San Francisco miss driving the coast which seems to be worth doing? Is the idea of driving Grand Canyon to Sandiego worthwhile or will we be wasting valuable time desert driving? Do you think 5 nights in NY is too long?

7. Re: Feedback on itinerary - all suggestions/critique welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 05:17