We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught of Black Magic crap????

It seems like this person or people keep getting new ID's.....any way to stop this? I figure the only way to make this happen is to make my own annoying post so you guys see it instead of an auto-delete.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Dr. Z watch out! You may become someone's voodoo doll!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,807 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Why you don't want your fortune read? I think there is a thread on the Make TA better forum.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Just don't respond to any of them or it takes them longer to disappear.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Has anyone thought about calling that number or numbers and asking them what they do? Ask them for their prices and services and if they have a TA special ? by one for one TA member, another gets one free of whatever it is they do.

No I am not volunteering

Plan B. google their website and do unto others as they are doing for you Just saying ...

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,932 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

It's only members on TA forums, and we all know that the spammers are here. TA_Staff knows it too, but there isn't a good fix in the works (yet.)

If you're interested, add your comments to the one forum that TA_Staff says they read. It's the "Help us make TripAdvisor better!" forum.

"What to do about the SPAM?" tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k6264046

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Good tip

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Living here in one of the areas where we have developers crawling out of every nook and cranny, all I can say is that 99.99% of the posts and feedback does not get to developers -- the folks who will have to build the defenses to reduce (never can eliminate) so if people feel they are helping with a solution -- sure go ahead and post in all those forums

Forums have been around for years and years (before spam started) -- people will remember the bulletin boards and compuserve forums -- and spam is relatively more recent but there are solutions out there which work pretty well (won't go into them here as no one cares or listens) . TA forums are still archaic and only have a veneer on them with the recent "upgrade".

My point being -- there are solutions out there that work and reduce spam. Forums are NOT a top priority with TA -- they do not bring revenue so the effort is always put in places which get the biggest bang for the buck -- reviews, hotels links, deals, lists, all the things where the bulk of the visitors go and where the eyeballs go so that the advertising rates on those pages can go higher.

Back to regular programming.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 21:40
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

TA does a better job of eliminating the spam on weekdays as opposed to nights and weekends. There are a lot of good suggestions for eliminating spammers on the thread that PNWF linked to (the best one being requiring a registration prior to posting on the forums).

But forums are not TA priorities because they aren't clicks that generate revenue. Understandable. But these are still the best, and most active, travel forums I've seen.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

Agreed....the reason I spend time (waste time ??) on these forums are because they are very helpful in planning trips, I actually learn quite a few things about the places I enjoy and live in, and they are relatively free of profanity, spamming, and ads.

The recent black magic stuff is very annoying though

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hey Trip Advisor!! Can you somehow stop this onslaught....

I agree Dr Z. With popularity comes all the pitfalls that go with it -- As both you and Sal said, it is a great forum and people actually use it and there is a wealth of info here -- see the Frommers forum link posted by someone a hour or so so and the lack of posts or replies there.

Where else would l learn on a hourly basis which ride at Disneyland is closed for maintenance or what toll road I have to worry about or not worry about -- so much important info for our reading pleasure -- instead of Must see tv -- Must read forums

Edited: 16 April 2013, 23:02