We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

ones which aren't scary, and have weekly hotel rates for ALL budgets.

CA, OR, and WA

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

The most "transient" cities? How do you mean by that? I think all cities have weekly hotel rates for all budgets.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,762 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

The whole west coast is scary especially on Halloween. By the way CA OR and WA are states and not cities. Kindly do some research and if you have specific questions about CA read the top Questions please and then come back with something specific

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,279 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

Do you mean the cities that have the highest ratio of people moving in and out? That's what I usually think of when "transient" is applied to a city.

Or do you mean the city with the most transients as used to describe homeless, vagrant, or residentially challenged people?

And TBH, when I see questions about "weekly hotel rates for all budgets," the first thing that comes to my mind is SROs.

Are you in transition, looking for somewhere to stay for a short time? If you tell us what you're looking for in a city, or in a hotel, we can make our replies more useful.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

Hello Martin C, and welcome to the California forum.

I understand your question to be "what are the cities where there is the most amount of change in residence (inmigration and outmigration) on the west coast? Fair question, but probably out of the scope of a travel forum like TripAdvisor.

The US Census Bureau would be the most logical place to find this kind of data, short of anecdotal replies, of which there could be tons of down the line if that is allowed and happens. Here's a link that gives some info on state residencies and transiency patterns: …census.gov/2011/…

I know Las Vegas, Nevada, where you state you are from, has a high incidence of transiency due to my living here in the Mojave Desert (Las Vegas is the largest city in the Mojave Desert even though it is outside California) and time spent living there. No statistics, but you can tell by social observation.

San Francisco has always been a more socially transient city, although its costs of housing has been generally much higher than other parts of California. Fresno, in the San Joaquin Valley, is a place that tends to get new residents that move from either San Francisco or Los Angeles metro areas. It's right between the two of them in terms of distance. Much more affordable, but with a higher unemployment rate.

Los Angeles has especially in the last few decades been a more transient place, attracting not only those looking for higher incomes for the highly trained and educated, but those who come from outside the United States with little to no education or training. These three cities' metro areas are perhaps some of the larger magnets for mobile individuals (transients in that sense) in California. Anecdotally speaking, of course.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

If you could give us more information we could help you more effectively!

Are you looking for small towns or cities? Far northern California has no big cities ... Oregon has just a few in the entire state.

What do *you* mean by transient?

6. Re: what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2013, 11:32
7. Re: what are the most transient cities on the west coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:18