We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for travelling alone

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for travelling alone

Hi,

I'm coming over to LA for work in the beginning of June, and then will have to get to SF about a week (7-8 days) later. This leaves a hole in the middle.

Now, the problem is that I'm travelling alone, and it seems to me that going to Disneyland/Six Flags, or even just going to the beach, would get too lonely (am in a relationship, no casual romances on the menu).

I'll get a car, so there are 2 days I can spend just driving up Route 1, with stops at Morro bay/Hearst Castle/Monterey, but am struggling to find things to do the rest of the time. One idea was to spend 2 days in San Diego. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Denis.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for travelling alone

Hi Denis

Someone just asked on the Anaheim forum about visiting alone. I recommend you read that thread. Folks offered terrific ideas about ways to enjoy a Disneyland visit by yourself. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k6476988

Any interest in Yosemite? Some folks drive across the state to Yosemite from Monterey.

Another option is to drive to Death Valley NP from L.A., then up the eastern Sierra on Hwy 395, into Yosemite at Tioga Pass, southwest to Cambria, up the coast to Monterey, and into SF.

There are some articles in the Top Q on the right with info about the Las Vegas (Death Valley) to Yosemite drive and about the L.A. to SF coastal drive.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for travelling alone

Hello Denis, and welcome to the California forum.

As a single for many years until recent times, I know what it is to be single and traveling alone, and being lonely. My experience is it's a good idea to be in places where people have a slower pace of life, have a focus, and are willing to interact with a traveler, tourist, a person they don't happen to know yet.

So museums, historic sites, and cultural attractions like that have worked well in my experience. Here's a list off the top of my head of some great places to learn, see something different, and quite possibly feel less left out while in your in between time not working:

Getty Center Museum in Los Angeles (there's two Gettys - the one off Interstate 405/San Diego Freeway in the Sepulveda Pass area off Getty Center Drive is the newer, larger collection). You can spend a day here and not see it all. Lots of visitors here, and free admission (parking is ~15). http://www.getty.edu/museum/

The Nethercutt Collection and Museum (aka San Sylmar) in Sylmar, Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley is a great, but lesser known museum of pre World War II automobiles. The original part (the Collection) needs a reservation (3 to 6 months ahead of time in my experience) and is free. The newer museum part has an historic Pullman Car once owned by the daughter of "Lucky" Baldwin, the founder of Arcadia, California, complete with steam locomotive. An automobile pavilion of one story is there for free viewing along with the Pullman and locomotive (Pullman exhibit closed on rain days). http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/

Outside of LA/Southern California:

Lone Pine is a great place for singles. Hiking and touring the Alabama Hills where many Western movies were filmed (group tours available), and the Film History Museum is a great place to spend hours, if not more by watching old westerns and seeing the exhibits. Friendly town and museum docents! http://www.lonepinefilmhistorymuseum.org/

Bodie is another Eastern Sierra place that is great to tour. Historic California gold mining "ghost" town now managed and cared for by the California State Parks system. Very interesting place to visit for singles or otherwise. You can spend the day here in June and in the Summer. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

From there, Yosemite National Park with God's natural beauty beckons via the east entrance on Tioga Road/California State Route 120, which will be open in June for your visit. Tour Yosemite and stay outside the park to the east in a lodging of your choice. Then Cambria, CA Route 1 and the coast, and Monterey and SF.

Hope this proves useful to you as your have this interim downtime from working. Enjoy your travels with us.

3. Re: Suggestions for travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 06:17