We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

San Diego...
5 posts
Save Topic
San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

Hello everyone,

My husband, our toddler and I are going on a road trip in mid September (for approximatively 3 weeks but pretty flexible). Leaving San Diego to Seattle by the inland roads then coming back by the coast.

After spending hours checking on previous post with similar questions I came up with this itinerary. Could you please give some recommendations. Have I missed must sees points in my trajectory? And if anyone have recommendations on where to stay or where to eat (hotels/cabins, we love organic and fresh food). I do realize that I will have to post about specific cities but this is just a first attempt to get suggestions for the whole itinerary. Also is a small car ok to drive up the Lassen Mountain (I have read somewhere that it is pretty stiff). We will not drive more than 5-6 hours a day (avoid toddler meltdown).

My itinerary:

San Diego-Seattle ( inland)

1. San Diego to Sequoia Park

Stop in Barkersfield for lunch

• Sequoia Park: stay 1 night. Stay at the Wuksashi Lodge?

2. Yosemite: stay 2 nights

3. Lake Tahoe: stay 3 nights

• Crater Lake via Lassen volcanic National Park

4. Crater Lake:stay 1 night

5. Portland stay 2 nights

6. Seattle 3 days

7. Olympic National Park: Stay 2 nights

8. San Juan Islands 1 day

Seattle-San Diego: Coast

10. Cannon beach, OR Stay 1 night

11. Gold Beach Stay 1 night

• Stay at Tu Tu Tun lodge

12. Redwoods national park spend a full day at the park

• Stay 1 night in Crescent City or Eureka) drive next day early morning to San Francisco

13. San Francisco 3-4 days

CARMEL

14. Solvang spend the night

Take HWY 5 from there and drive to San Diego

THANK YOU

Pacific Northwest...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

Since your trip ("trajectory?)involve three states, maybe posting on the road trip forum would be a better choice?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,260 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

Here is the direct link for the Road Trips forum. It's hard to find: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri… Before you repost, I recommend you set out the entire trip in something like Google Maps. The drive time estimates may amaze you (no stops allowed.) 8 hrs 11 min from South Lake Tahoe to Lassen to Crater Lake. When do you get to enjoy Lassen or Crater Lake? After you create your Google Map, click the little chain icon at the left side of the map, then tick the box for short URL. That's the link to paste into your new thread.

Also post on the Washington state forum page. Your plan in WA is not possible.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake is a very long drive. We break that section up with anovernighti in Mt. Shasta.

San Diego...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

Thanks everyone.

I will post on the road trip forum, I am new here and did not see it before.

PacifiNWFamily, I actually used google maps and this is how I got the idea of stopping at these inland places. I was hoping to use small roads (395, 36,44) to get from Lake Tahoe to Lassen Volcanic Nat. Park. Then as suggested by Enzian stay a night in between, maybe in Redding. Also, what do you mean "my plan in WA is not possible" why is it?

I will post on the road trip to have more details.

Thank you all.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,260 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

How will you get from Olympic NP to the San Juan Islands for a day trip? And then you're in Cannon Beach for the night? Perhaps you're thinking about spending additional nights on the way, but that isn't clear from your itinerary.

I'm glad you have time between South Lake Tahoe and Crater Lake!

6. Re: San Diego to Seattle (inland) Seattle-SD (coast)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 06:17