We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fall Hike

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Fall Hike

Hello. I'm looking to plan a weekend trip in the fall. The time is a bit flexible, but I'm thinking around October. We will likely only have a Friday morning departure and a Sunday return from the Riverside area. The main goal of this trip is a beautiful day hike with friends. Probably just four of us. We will also need a place to stay (would love to find a secluded cabin off of vrbo.com or something...). I'm a little overwhelmed with options so I'm looking for some suggestions. Anyone have some to share??

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Fall Hike

Not too far from Riverside? The Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead area would sounds like a logical choice.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Fall Hike

If you want to stay local, try Idyllwild. Lots of hiking trails, and cabins available.

If you want to be on the other side of the mountain, stay in Palm Springs and take the tram up then hike to the top of Mt San Jacinto.

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Fall Hike

Yes, both good and true answers. I guess I should've added "special" to my list of hike requirements. Haha. We all camp and hike with our family and kids all throughout the year, so we visit a lot of our local areas frequently. I think I had grand ideas of visiting a national park and seeing something new and inspiring together. That said, I probably need to be a little more practical and logical and take your advice. Lol.

I know we'll likely skip San Gorgonio and San Jacinto since a few of them have already done that, but I'll try and stop dreaming of the Sierra Nevadas and look into places more local. At least for now, unless someone has a better idea. ;)

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Fall Hike

From Riverside, it's a fairly direct drive up Highway 395 to the Bishop or Mammoth Lakes areas. If you timed it right, you would catch the aspens changing colors.

google says about 4 hours to Bishop

about 5 hours to Mammoth

Edited: 15 May 2013, 15:49
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Fall Hike

yes, Bishop to mammoth. Drive up 5000 elevation above bishop and pick any branch of bishop creek for great aspen color and those silver mountain peaks. Or closer to home would be Independence and hike Kearsarge Pass

6. Re: Best Fall Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:18