We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Itinerary

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
California Itinerary

Hi,

We are visiting California in June and would ideally like to do a road trip rather than fly.

Could you let me know what you think of this itinerary please and whether I should add/reduce days anywhere.

It's a 15-day itinerary but we could increase to 21.

Many thanks

Doug

Fly into LA - 2 nights

Drive to Palm Springs - 2 nights

Drive to Vegas - 3 nights incl trip to Grand Canyon

Drive to Death Valley - 1 night

Drive to Yosemite - 2 nights

Drive to San Francisco - 5 nights

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Itinerary

Hello Dougnmatt, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the California forum.

You don't mention what you want to do or see while traveling, so I'll take a guess that you want to do what the majority of travelers on this forum talk about.

Los Angeles is not just the City of Los Angeles, but 88 incorporated cities in Los Angeles County alone, not to mention all the cities in the surrounding counties (Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Kern, and Ventura). A vast place, and a car is required to get around to visit many of the sights in Los Angeles. You can take public transit, but that limits you in scope to the most built up and well known areas, such as Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica.

Anaheim, in Orange County, is 30 or so miles south of Downtown Los Angeles. Disney has two theme parks there, and neighboring Buena Park has Knott's Berry Farm amusement park. Often we recommend here on the forum one or more days in Los Angeles and surrounding cities, and two or more days in Anaheim. So depending on if visiting these theme parks is something you want to do, you might wish to add more days into your itinerary for that.

The rest of your time is within reason for a standard level tour of California and the American West. Again, all of this depends on what you wish to see and do. Avoid the so called "Grand Canyon West" that you will hear about while in Las Vegas, Nevada, and go to Grand Canyon National Park instead. The South Rim is recommended for first time visitors, but in the Summer and late Spring and early Fall seasons the North Rim is also open for visitors. Less crowds at the North Rim, by the way, if that is of interest. Overnight at Grand Canyon National Park.

Other than that, you look to have a reasonable itinerary. Enjoy your travels with us.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Itinerary

L.A. - (hot) Palm Springs - Grand Canyon National Park - Las Vegas - (hot) Death Valley - Yosemite Valley or nearby - Monterey - San Francisco

=======

Without knowing anything about your travel group or travel style, this is just a generic itinerary.

I suggest at least another night in L.A., but maybe you've visited so often that you'll be ready to move on earlier.

I rerouted you to GCNP first so you can have that overnight Underdog suggested.

The drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite Valley is long. Great idea to have an overnight. Stovepipe Wells in DVNP is a bit closer to Yosemite and will get you on the road for the scenic drive just a bit earlier. Some folks stay in Lone Pine instead. Details: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

I assume you don't have lodging reservations yet. This is very very late to begin planning a trip to Yosemite. Please go to the Yosemite forum and read the Top Questions in the upper right, especially the ones about lodging. You might want a night in Lee Vining (probably can't get Tuolumne Meadows) and two nights in or near Yosemite Valley.

Then I suggest you go to the coast for two nights. On your 'layover' day, drive down in to Big Sur on Hwy 1 and then back up to Monterey. Details in the Top Q here on this forum. As an alternative, you could drive to Cambria for the first night and to Monterey for the second night.

Drop the car when you get to SF.

3. Re: California Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:18