We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

Hi,

I am planning to take my two kids(5 and 9) and my wife to California in August. We will be flying in LAX, and we plan to spend at least 4 days in San Diego and another 2 days in LA. If I am to spend 10 days in California in total, does it make sense for me to drive north to Yosemite and/or SF(assuming we fly out of SFO instead of going back to LAX)?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

That would be pushing it.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,498 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

Hi pym

I assume you've read the info about the coastal drive on Hwy 1 from L.A. to SF and you're comparing that drive to the one up Hwy 99 & 41 to Yosemite Valley then west to SF.

The first option might be L.A. -> Pismo Beach -> Monterey -> SF and could include horseback riding, ATVs, surfing, elephant seals, kayaking, and/or an Aquarium.

You could drive longer hours and see less, just spending one night in Pismo Beach or Cambria.

The inland drive would be about 300 miles / 6 hrs from L.A. to Yosemite Valley, a night or two in or near Yosemite Valley, then a 4 hour drive to San Francisco.

Drop the car when you get to SF.

Either option would include a $$$ one way drop fee for the rental car.

So the itinerary might be

LAX - San Diego (5 nights / 4 full days) - L.A. (2 nights / most of 2 days) - Yosemite Valley (1 night / afternoon + morning) - San Francisco (1 night / evening + one morning before flight home) - SFO

That's 9 nights / 10 days.

A more realistic option for only 9 nights / 10 days would be LAX - San Diego (5 nights / 4 days) - beach (2 nights / 2 days) - L.A. (2 nights / 2 days) - LAX

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

With the time you have, stay in Southern California. You don't need to be spending days in the car with young children. Also, I think you have left out Orange County. No visit to the Magic Kingdom in your plans? There's 3 or 4 days in that area minimum.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

Thank you all for your advice. Actually one of the reasons I am thinking about driving from LA to SF is because I found out it is actually much cheaper to drop the car off at SFO instead of LAX for some reason(certain companies like Enterprise and Alamo), and I have a friend in San Francisco. My kids are not big on Disney and they have been to the Disney World in Florida a couple of times already, so we are planning to skip Anaheim completely. So, how about skipping Yosemite, and just do 4 days in San Diego, 2 days in LA, 1 day Palm Springs and the rest of time in SF?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,498 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

August in Palm Springs? HOT.

Ten days = 4 days (really 3 1/2 days or 4 full days?) SD + 2 days L.A. + 1 day Palm Springs + 1 full day driving to SF + 2 days SF

It's better to look in terms of nights. How many nights in San Diego to get 4 full days? Or do you want partial days?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

Skip Palm Springs in August, it is like 110 degrees every day.

Think in nights, not days.

What do you want to see in LA?

Here is what I would consider.

3 nights San Diego

1 night Santa Barbara

1 night Monterey

4 nights San Francisco.

That is 10 days (9 nights).

Edited: 22 May 2013, 15:28
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

PS here is the route map along the coast.

http://goo.gl/maps/R2D1C

There are other options as well, it just depends on what you want to see and do. I would not do the LA to SF drive in one day. You can use the 5 Freeway and do it comfortably in one day, but there is absolutely nothing to see on the 5, but the CA Aquaduct and Harris Ranch.

8. Re: San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:17