We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Kitschy

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
California Kitschy

We know everyone comes to California to see the kitschy, the funky, the campy, and the cheesy. Stuff like Yosemite, the Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland, and Big Sur are added attractions. Here is a recent list, by no means comprehensive, of some of the major Roadside Attractions

…sfgate.com/getlost/…11919-1

Some people will love the choices of the Baker thermometer, Giant Artichoke, and drive-through trees. Other folks will have their own favorites.

I miss the old Giant Oranges.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Kitschy

I had no idea the dinosaurs at Cabazon included a creationist museum!

Pauma Valley, CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Kitschy

The Baker thermometer hasn't worked in a while and I heard a rumor it might be torn down.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California Kitschy

The Baker thermometer was put up for sale a few months ago. There is a thread about it on the Baker forum and also one on the Death Valley National Park forum.

Tearing it down would be quite a task, because after it blew over in a wind storm some years ago, it was repaired and reinforced with concrete. It might be as structurally sound now as the new Bay Bridge eastern span. But that's a whole different story.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California Kitschy

That Randy's Donuts sign gets a lot of publicity. There used to be a lot of those large donut signs around. Maybe there still are. When I was a kid, I remember one of those large donut signs on a small donut shop in Long Beach near the corner of Carson and Cherry streets. I was just in that neighborhood a few months ago but I didn't look for the donut sign. Maybe it's still there.

The Randy's Donuts shop pops up in a lot of photos I think because it's easy to find just off the 405 freeway . . . and it's near LAX . . . so tourists stop there on the way to the airport.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California Kitschy

Dear tourists,

Please scratch the Giant Artichoke off your list. You will be sorely disappointed. However, do stop at Pezzini Farms for some french fried artichoke hearts. They are so good! The farm stand also sells fresh produce and lots of California products.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California Kitschy

There are so many...

Randy's donuts is a classic.There is/was the big golfer statue in Carson off the 405.Or the big Marilyn Monroe in Palm Springs.

Salvation Mountain in Niland .Once qualified as a superfund clean-up site because of all the paint on the ground.Still there.

https:/…SalvationMountain

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California Kitschy

I miss the Giant Oranges, too, and the Milk Farm, where we stopped for something cool, when I was a child, when driving, without air conditioning, in the Central Valley to Sacramento.

I live in Santa Cruz. and the Mystery Spot is still going strong. Japanese tourist agencies have discovered it. We lived on one of the roads they had their clients take to get there, and in the summer, every time we went to town, we stopped when we saw a rental car on our country road with people huddled over a map and we said, without another word, "Go to the next road, turn right and watch for the signs." When I was a child there was one of these in Bodega Bay.

Maybe that is where they dug the "hole in the Head", meaning the excavation for the nuclear power plant on Bodega Head that was aborted because the residents finally convinced somebody that a major earthquake fault lay under their "dig".

We evidently have a Bigfoot Museum somewhere around Felton. I had never heard of it, until one of our regulars kept making jokes about it.

Guess I should check it out. NOT?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California Kitschy

OH, Yes, Santa's Village in Santa Cruz. Our eldest daughter worked there in summers when in high school, wearing an elf costume and assembling toy cable cars. It was a kind of fun place. Sorry it;s gone.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California Kitschy

There's another Bigfoot Museum in Willow Creek (Humboldt County).

http://bigfootcountry.net/

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California Kitschy

Santa Claus Lane in Carpinteria (Santa Barbara County)

Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox at Trees of Mystery in Klamath (Del Norte County)

Confusion Hill in northern Mendocino County

The "fake city" facades on the oil islands just offshore in Long Beach

Edited: 26 May 2013, 05:35