We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

I've been posting numerous questions and someone suggested to just post my itinerary instead so here goes:

We are 2 adults, late 20's, no kids - having a second honeymoon, first timers to CA.

Aug 16 - arrive San Diego at midday. Drop bags at hotel, head to SeaWorld (open till late for summer)

Aug 17 - pick up hire car, head to Safari Park. Open till late too but if finish early head towards the coast/city for some sightseeing.

Aug 18 - AFC Half Marathon in morning, then Zoo in PM (open till late) NB we loooove Zoos hence going to both Zoo and Safari Park.

Aug 19 - Coastal drive towards Anaheim or just straight there? Spend afternoon/night or full day at Disneyland?

Aug 20 - Disneyland. I've also found that Big Bang Theory is filming this PM at WB studios today too so will try and get tix as my husband loves this show. If not, stay at Disneyland till late then drive to Pasadena (staying with family there).

Aug 21 - Warner Brothers studio tour, Hollywood, Hollywood sign, Stars homes tour, general sightseeing

Aug 22 - Universal studios, general sightseeing

Aug 23 - Santa Monica, other beaches and general sightseeing then fly out late that night.

So I have listed 'general sightseeing' a few times. What other things should we fit in? Won't need to do much shopping really as doing this in NY and Vegas where we have more time. Will have a hire car too. We're not that keen on museums either.

Will be getting the SoCal CityPass to save on admission costs.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 03:15
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

Anyone?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,486 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

Not sure why your not getting any feedback.... so Im bumping up this post again for you.

Keep in mind the Safari Park is further inland and likely to quite hot in mid August.

Also keep in mind that Disneyland closes at 12pm for your time period, and nightly shows are later at night starting around 9pm. Since there are 3 different show, you would need at least 2 nights at minimum if you wanted to see the Fireworks show, Fantasmic show, and the World of Color show, all of which are a must see really.

If you are only planning really on one day at Disneyland, the cost would not be helpful to you to purchase the SoCal City Pass Imo. Your going to pay about the same amount just getting things separately with discounts. You can also look into the San Diego 3 in 1 Pass that includes SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, and Safari Park.

You can look through these at the Mousesavers.com website that lists current discounts on attractions for you ( they dont sell tickets) and you can compare some of the multi-attraction tickets to single Park tickets to see what may work out best for you.

mousesavers.com/discounts-and-deals-at-other…

I would also consider that you would want to spend as much time as possible at Disneyland of your dates you have available to visit, there is so much to see and do there, its not like a standard Theme Park, just the entertainment and shows without any rides, could easily take up a day of your time.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 22:27
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

Aug 17 - pick up hire car, head to Safari Park. Open till late too but if finish early head towards the coast/city for some sightseeing.

Aug 18 - AFC Half Marathon in morning, then Zoo in PM (open till late) NB we loooove Zoos hence going to both Zoo and Safari Park.

Why not do the zoo on the 17th and then on the 18th do the Safari park after the Marathon and drive to Anaheim instead of going back all the way to San Diego. You are half way there

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

Thanks happytotrip - I will have a look on mousesavers for some passes. I just thought that one was a good deal as it has universal studios aswell. But - i have noticed there are some LA passes that include that and a variety of other things so doing that and the 3 in 1 San Diego pass might be a good idea. If you could choose two out of the Zoo, Safari Park and Seaworld which would you choose? I'm inclined to drop off Seaworld and do the Zoo that afternoon so then we can have the day after the marathon to sightsee?? We really love animals so want the Zoo and Safari Park....!!!

In theory that would be go belomiser - however we've already booked the accommodation in San Diego for that night too and it's non-refundable.... :( Unless we just bear the cost of that and book another night in Anaheim - too many decisions!!!

Palos Verdes...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

That's a lot of theme parks and a lot of driving! A bit overwhelming really. Do you need to go to all of these theme parks? Aug is a wonderful time in Southern California along the coast, but inland can get sweltering.

Keep in mind traffic delays and the wild animal park is pretty far east and can take about 45 min without traffic. It gets very hot out there in the summer and there is a lot of walking around so keep that in mind. I have been out there in the summer and there is really no relief from the heat. I personally would spend more time enjoying the San Diego area-gaslamp, marina, Coronado, la Jolla!

What's the scenic route to Anaheim? Coast HWY? That's a nice drive, but you would want to leave plenty of time for stops in Laguna Beach for lunch or San Clemente. If you must get to Disneyland then just head straight there bc the beach cities in Aug will have a ton of traffic!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

FYI, the Zoo is quite hilly and spread out. After a half Marathon, I'd opt for Sea World since it's flat, it's smaller and you can soak your feet in the dolphin tank (just kidding).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,486 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

Rowy85,

It just really depends on what you may want to do. You seem to like the Zoos more, so, you may be tempted to drop SeaWorld off your list. I would suggest though that you take a look through their websites as well as some of the review of the Parks you want to visit to see if that may help you decide a little what you may like most. However, the Safari Park is going to be HOT in mid August as I said, so that may factor into what you want to do or not do.

I personally prefer SeaWorld to the Zoos, but then I like animals that swim in the ocean. If you would rather do some sightseeing rather than visit SeaWorld, then you should do that, its your trip, and you should do what you are most interested in doing.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

Hmmm. Will have a think about it. We don't mind hot weather so that's not really an issue but I will keep in mind the hills around the Zoo with it being after the marathon. The reason I set aside a whole day for the Safari Park was because of the drive out there.

Thanks everyone :)

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,955 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

I always visit the Zoo and the Safari Park in the same trip, so I get where you're coming from. That said, I would keep your plan as-is - the safari park will be on summer hours, closing at 7pm, but starts closing at 6pm on Aug 19. The zoo, however, will be closing at 9pm all summer. So your plan is a better use of opening hours. Plus, if you're really going to visit one after a half-marathon (seriously? Yikes!) I'd make it the zoo. There's less walking involved, as it's much smaller and there're both a bus and skytram; the safari park is huge, and you walk most of it.

I find SeaWorld tilting too much to entertainment, shows and rides for my taste. But plenty of people love it.

I've visited the Safari Park in the middle of summer. Yes, it is hot hot HOT. Just dress for it, bring plenty of sunblock, hat, sunglasses, drink plenty of water and take breaks.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 02:07
10. Re: Itinerary Advice - August 16-23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:16