We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Topic
Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

Hi Travellers,

I will be travelling from Torrance to San Francisco in my own car. We are couple. I am thinking of taking follow routes and places.

Wednesday - 2:00 PM - Leave from Torrance. 1/2 hour break at Fresno. Reach SFO by 9 PM. Check in hotel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday - 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM (49 miles drive by own car)

Golden gate

Twin Tower

Union Square

China Town

Lombard Street

etc.......(or whatever I can cover on the map)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday - 9:00 AM -

SFO Bay Cruise

San Jose

Sunnyvale

Back to Hotel in evening

Saturday - 9:00 AM leave Hotel of SFO

Head towards Monterey

Mistery Point

Bay

Big Sur

Reach Cambria and overnight stay there. If time permits, will cover around areas.

Sunday - 9:00 AM - leave Hotel

Pebble Beach

Pismo Beach

Santa Barbara

Torrance

This all makes 3 night in SFO and 1 night at Cambria. I will be having my own car. I have already hotels in my list, which are available on my dates and they have parking free.

Alternatively, I can add a night to Monterey instead of 3rd night in SFO. Is this doable and good or anything can be changed to make it better ? I will be staying in Hotel around SFO Airport.

Please suggest.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 01:04
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,655 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

Why Fresno ? Are you not coming on I5 ? Why stay in SFO instead of SF ? There are hotels in SF that include parking . The Top Questions on the right have that info.

Is there a reason to see Sunnyvale and something specific in San Jose ?

Also you may want to stay 1 night in the Monterey area and 1 in cambria unless you really need to see Sunnyvale and San Jose. Pebble beach by the way is in the Carmel area

Twin Towers -- the ones we all know are no longer standing -- Twin peaks is what I think you mean.

Plenty of info on what to see on the Ca coast in the top questions on the right and in the SF forum Top questions. I think it is easier to see SF by MUNI or by a tour than to drive. Parking is expensive and you will have to pay attention to the one way streets and turns instead of seeing the city

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,532 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

Belo asked what I wanted to ....Why Fresno? It sounds like you are stopping for a rest or dinner...if so there really is no reason to stop there. (Sorry Fresno-ites)

Also, if you leave Torrance at 2:00 and want to stop at Fresno for 30 minutes, there is no way you'll be in SF by 9.

Can we assume that you are not staying at the airport and that SFO is a mistake? The abbreviation for San Fancisco is SF while the airport designation is SFO. It kinda makes a difference when helping.

What time of year is this trip planned for?

Dr. Z

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

belomiser and Dr.Z, I just wanted to have a small rest within that 6-7 hours drive.

I heard, Sunnyvale and San Jose are nice town to visit, have lot of big IT offices. If not worth, I will skip them. and stay one night in Monterey and one night in Cambria.

When I was going through rates and reviews, hotels are cheaper and better near Airport rather than downtown. I thought, if I have car to drive so should not make any difference if I drive down 30 minutes more to reach somewhere.

My plan is for next week. Wednesday means, 3rd July.

I can make it as -->

07/03 Reach SF in night. Overnight stay in hotel.

07/04 SF - whole day. Overnight stay in hotel.

07/05 Leave Hotel in morning and whole day in SF in car (or tour). Leave SF in evening towards Monterey. Check-in Monterey Hotel in night.

07/06 Whole day in Monterey. Leave Monterey in evening, towards Cambria. Check-in Cambria Hotel in night.

07/07 Whole day in Cambria. Leave Cambria in evening. Reah Torrance in night.

How is this now ? This makes me stay 2 nights in SF, 1 night in Monterey and 1 night in Cambria. But this way, I will miss all that scenic beauty on the way. Alternatively, it can be -->

07/03 Reach SF in night. Overnight stay in hotel.

07/04 SF - whole day. Overnight stay in hotel.

07/05 Leave Hotel in morning and whole day in SF in car (or tour). Overnight stay in hotel.

07/06 Leave for Monterey in Morning. Roam around Monterey and stay overnight.

07/07 Leave for Cambria in Morning. Roam around Cambria and leave to Torrance in evening. Will reach by midnight.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 01:45
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

I have done the Torrance- SF drive multiple times a years over the last many years. If you are just resting, no need to divert off to Fresno on the 99. Plenty of rest stop along I-5 for a rest break. You can't leave Torrance any earlier then 2pm? 7/3 is going to be mad mad busy with folks leaving town. Leave in AM if you can. Otherwise, it will take you upwards of 2 hours just to make it past Castiac. The carpool lanes help but not much. For holiday runs up north, you should just stop when you can. The big rest stops are near Buttonwillow and Lost Hills. But if you get stuck in traffic leaving LA which has happened to us on these weekends, we take a break at the rest stop on Taft Highway once you get out of the Grapevine area.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 01:56
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

Other quick comments:

- Skip the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz.

- The drive from Monterey to Cambria is long and scenic. You have to make sure you leave Monterey in time to do this part in the daylight. There will be many many people driving this route and your travel times will be longer than what you expected.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 02:02
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

No practical reason to make visits to San Jose and Sunnyvale.

You can find hotels IN SF with free parking. Look at Coventry Inn, Chelsea Motor Inn, Buena Vista Motor Inn, Redwood Inn. These are all located on Lombard Street near the Marina District and within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach. Much better than commuting in each day from the outskirts.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

I will not be able to leave before 2 PM on 3rd July, have some other commitments. I will skip San Jose and Sunnyvale. Is Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz not worth ?

kibblemom, I checked in hotels mentioned by you, those are going little over my budget. I was checking something below 100$ per night. How far is SFO from main downtown ?

Is my second plan doable and proper or I can change something in that ?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,532 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

Your plans need to be reworked. It's a holiday weekend in a very popular vacation spot for both locals and tourists.

For $100 I highly doubt you will find anything.

Leaving after 2PM is not advised. You will most likely hit very heavy traffic in the LA area and moderate traffic north of the Grapevine area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

From other posts also I am realising that I may hit heavy traffic. How about, if I leave in night around 9 and reach SF by 4 AM ?

Alternatively, if I do not take SF in my this trip and cover coastal PCH till Big Sur (including Monterey and Cambria), will that also be as crowded ?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roundtrip from Torrance to San Francisco

Everything on your itinerary will be very crowded. We have left in the evening as you proposed on big holiday and it is a much better drive. Just rest up. We usually leave around 8:30pm as well.

Just doing the Central Coast for this weekend would be better. But you have to decide where you will spend the first night. With your budget, look in the SLO area before the main coastal area.

ETA - what do other people think of him going up the 101 late Wed and just sleep in the Salinas area? Should find reasonable and safe places just to rest their heads. Then swing out to the coast.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 02:46