We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

I will be leaving Torrance in night at 8:00 PM (to avoid on the way traffic) to Monterey. Since, I will be working whole day, so I do not want to drive too much direct to Monterey. I want to stay in night somewhere in between and next day morning, I will start to Monterey and stay there 2 nights. I have two options to stay in between

Torrance - (213 miles) - Coalinga - (121 miles) - Monterey ==> Highway 5 ==> http://goo.gl/maps/UsfJm

Torrance - (198 miles) - San Luis Obispo - (143 miles) - Monterey ==> Highway 101 ==> http://goo.gl/maps/H51Os

As per some travel experts, San Luis Obispo must be better, but would Highway 101 be faster to reach in night ? And somewhere cheaper hotel too. I will be driving on 3rd July night, so traffic will be a concern. Miles are almost same via both roads. This drive towards Monterey will be in night, so anyway I will not be seeing scenic places.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,691 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

Hi again Shadow. I would take the I-5 and cut across the 46 to Paso Robles for your first night on 7/3. This would get you the closest to Monterey with reasonable driving time. I just checked on Travelocity and only a few motel under $100 so don't wait too long to book. Have you secured lodgings for your 2 nights in Monterey and last night?

I agree not much to see at night and you just want to drive the miles.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

Sorry for late reply Chinita. Yes, staying options are available.

I have planned like this. Can you comment on this, if it is going good ?

3rd July - Will stay in Paso Robles Travelodge. I just need it for night stay, so a OK hotel is fine for me in less rate. Will leave from Hotel in morning.

4th July - Will check-in Hotel in noon at Econo Lodge Monterey Fairgrounds OR Americas Best Value Inn Seaside South. Full day in and around Monterey and overnight stay.

5th July - In Monterey only till lunch time. Will leave Monterey in noon and head to ____________________. Overnight stay at __________________________.

I was thinking to stay at Cambria on 5th night, but that anyway near to Paso Robles. While returning back, can I make Lompoc or Santa Maria overnight stay ? Or anywhere else on the way is recommened.

6th July - Will leave for Torrance around 5 -6 PM or may be more late. Before that, I will have time cover nearby areas.

I am cutting one day (7th July, which I have in my hands to relax at home)

Edited: 29 June 2013, 00:44
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

There is no need to stay in Santa Maria or Lompoc, as the drive to Torrance from Cambria is only 4 hours.

If you feel you need one more stopover, then consider Buellton over gang/crime ridden Santa Maria and Lompoc

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

Kibblesmom, so shall I stop overnight at Cambria ? 4-5 hours is a easy drive.

Rest plan is ok ?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

San Simeon, Cambria, Morro Bay or San Luis Obispo are all good options within 30 minutes of each other. You should be able to find affordable accommodations in any of those towns.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,691 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

Glad you were able to find lodgings. The Travelodge Paso was what came up when I looked for you. You should be able to find reasonable lodgings in the towns KM recommended for your 5th night. Planning a relaxing day at home is a great idea. Enjoy your trip! It may cool and foggy for part of the coast part of the time- right KM? Usually when we have heat wave inland the fog rolls it. Bring clothing in layers as it can be 20-30 degrees F (10-20C) different between the cities. When I did this a few years ago, it was 95 in SoCal and 62 when I got to Monterey. A welcome cool relief!

Have fun.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

Looks like "some" fog possible in Monterey the 5th & 6th, but mostly sunny. Further down the coast where I live looks like bright sunshine those days. Shadow should have a gorgeous drive down through Big Sur on the 5th.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,691 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

Happy Trails! Shadow - the 5th is going to be your main vista awe inspiring day. This is one of the world's most scenic drive. Follow the guides in the link I referred in your other post. Make sure you take your time and pull out to take photos. McWay Falls is the photo everyone must have minimum along this stretch.

9. Re: Where to stay in between LA & Monterrey (Non PCH Road)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19